Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the verdict on soybean oil?  I've read to avoid soy in general, but I don't know if that applies to soybean oil.  I know it's an ingredient in Science Diet (which doesn't give me much confidence, but they claim it produces a shiny coat).  The reason I ask if because I bought some sardines but mistakenly bought the ones that are in soybean oil instead of water or olive oil.  Should I toss them or would it be ok this one time to feed em as a treat?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I personally would not feed any soy product - its a common alergyn as well as if feed in mass quantities can or have been link to thyrid problems and bloat.

If its one can of sardines, maybe just rinse them and then feed, I see no issues with one can, but often possibly.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hanna I knew you'd know the answer!  Thank you.

Just a quick question since I know you about sardines....if I open the tin and only want to use one or two at a time, can I just freeze the rest?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Freeze, are you kidding? Oggie is going to want the whole thing!!!  :lol: I split one  tin between Samson & Angel and they would happily eat many more. I imagine you could tho, wrap them really well in saran wrap, then foil and label it...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
OMG sardines are so nasty. i bought some for the girls and made my bf give them to them. just lookig at them after i opened the can made me want to hurl! bf wasnt too happy with me, but i had him put them in bowls and then gave the bowls to the girls...they loved me  :p

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The fish oils are good for their coats, makes them nice and shiny....The smell is disgusting tho, I avoid kisses after mine have eaten them  :)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Sardines are a great natural source of fish oils.  They will improve coat condition as well as help boost the immune system.   I have sardines packed in h2o to the pups everyother day mixed in their kibble.   I also use makrel at times, what ever I have on hand.  

Breath stinks, my dogs need a doggie tick tac but the do love their fish!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'd start off just adding a part of a tin, see how Bo does before doing any more...At his age, I would introduce new things into his diet slowly, see how he adjusts then take it from there...I feed mine sardines twice a week, but they are grown as well..They also get scrambled eggs, banana, apple, green beans, and chicken....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts