Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to get Gisselle Spayed before May 19, my regular vet is a great vet but they send them home the same day is that normal?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yeah that's pretty normal now. They used to keep them overnight, now you drop them off in the morning and pick them up in the evening.
To be honest, I'd rather have them home recooperating (that word doesn't look right?) than in a kennel at the vet's office.  At least you will be able to keep a close eye on her. She will probably just sleep anyway, being so groggy from the meds.
Good Luck Gisselle....although I'm sure she will be just fine.
Oh, and just make sure they do not use ace on her. If you haven't seen the "acepromazine warning", you can read it in the "health concerns" forum.  :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
When Savannah was spayed she was sent home same day. This was the first dog that i had known sent home same day. the vet i worked at always kept overnight, but then again i havent worked there in over 4 yrs!! so things may have changed. I agree with tootsie though- i would rather  my girl be with me then in a kennel at the vets office.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Mastray\";p=\"7067 said:
Mine keeps them over night... but I don't know what the "norm" is...?
ive been told that overnight is the norm for females, and the same day is the norm for males...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently had my Bella spayed....dropped her off at the vet at 8AM and picked her up at 3PM...she was fine. Walked out on her own...very energetic...other than a bit sleepy for the rest of the evening she did great. The next day she was back to her normal habits. I was glad I didn't have to leave her overnight. I think they would rather be home in their own bed. Good Luck!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Tink was also home the same day.  I left her in at 9am, they told me to ring at about 3.30 to see if she could come home that evening, which she could.  

My experience was the exact same as G1028's - she walked out to the car under her own steam, was a little bit groggy the rest of the evening and then the next way, was back to her normal (read: crazy) self.  I had foolishly thought I'd have at least a week of a nice, lazy dog, but no such luck.  I had an absolute nightmare trying to keep her quiet enough so she wouldn't damage her stitches.  I couldn't walk her until the stitches came out (a week and a half) and by the end of it she was totally stir crazy.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
a lot of places dont have employees working overnight, so she may be better off at home where you can keep a proper eye on her. Plus I'm sure she'll be more comfortable, and stress free in her own home, instead of a strange place for the night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts