Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of fruits does everyone feed their boxers? Reese and Savannah will only eat banana if it is frozen with PB in the kong.

Also i read that we can give them popsicles when they come in from a hot day. what brand/flavors do y'all feed?

·
Registered
270 Posts
WOW....i've never really tried anything here....UNLESS my children have given my pups some.  I think the pups have had strawberries, grapes, cantaloupe, watermelon, and bananas....just trying to think what all I feed my boys that they would in turn give to the pups.  Also, my pups have had flavor ice popsicles and the super hero popsicles.....can ya tell I have boys??!!!  The pups enjoyed both!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
For the popsicles I feed the pedialyte ones, cuz I want her to hydrate and get the cool flavor too.  She only get the one and her vet cleared it.  However, she gets homemade frozen fruit smoothy snacks alot and would take that over a popsiscle anyday!!!

As for the fruits:

Lilly will eat nearly anything.  Bananas (fresh off the tree in the back yard), papaya, mango, watermelon, strawberries, nectarines, apples (peeled...she hates the peel), peaches... the whole nine yards.  I just wash it, cut it up, give it to her in her bowl or mix it with yogurt and freeze it.  It makes a pretty tasty frozen treat.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought grapes were bad for them, the peel or the seeds or something...am i wrong about this?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I make my children fruit smoothies every day....NEVER thought about giving it my pups!  Thanks for the idea!  That is so neat that you get bananas fresh off the tree....WOW!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Chloesmom\";p=\"21606 said:
i thought grapes were bad for them, the peel or the seeds or something...am i wrong about this?
True....dogs should not eat grapes or raisins, they are toxic to dogs and can cause kidney damage.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I didn't know dogs could not have grapes.....I know that onions and chocolate are big no no's.....but had no idea about grapes!

·
Registered
236 Posts
My two love fruit.  Bananas, apples, cantaloupe, nectarines, watermelon, etc.    

Chloesmom is right about grapes.  They are toxic to dogs as are raisins.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Lilly doesn't get grapes and she doesn't particularly care for the smell either anyways, so I got lucky there!!!  

Bananas off the tree are great!!!  We go through them so fast in my house that its just cheaper to row my own.  At the moment we have 5 trees and 2 are bearing fruit right now and about to drop more seeds and the other three are preparing to be fruit bearing!!

MMMM...Yummie!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm truely really jealous!  We go through bananas like there's no tomorrow here in my house. I bet yours are especially yummy tasting!!  I visited Maui several years ago, and just remember how wonderful the fruit was!  I could not get enough of it!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Raisins are just dried grapes, so obviously they're also going to be toxic.

I mix orange juice (pure, not the concentrated crap) with water and freeze it into ice-pops (popsicles) for my two.  I also often give them a whole (cored) apple; they're great because they play with them for ages before eating them!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I thought citrus was bad for dogs too?

Henry has had banana, apple, pear, every berry I can think of!  He also likes green beans, cucumber, carrots and potatoes.  He loves potatoes!  Skinless, of coarse. :lol:

We give him Dole fruit and juice bars.  Not the whole thing, but whenever the boy has one, he'll share. :wink:

Z

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
There is, so far nothing that mine haven't likedbananas are definitely a favorite & cantalope and they do especially love popsicles...Samson likes orange & green, Angel is still trying to figure them out :lol:

Liz, when I lived in Cali, we had banana trees in our backyard & oh do I remember how great they were! So sweet!. Made the best banana bread & cupcakes with them  :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I tried my hand at banana trees.  :roll:  I was told that they were a hearty growing tree, hard to kill. Yeah right...they are all dead! Tried orange trees and a lemon tree...all dead!  :uhoh:  I guess I just don't have a green thumb! Funny thing, my mother in law who lives in Georgia grows banana trees. Every year she puts them in the ground and digs them up before it gets too cold and puts them in a pot and brings them in the garage. These trees are about 12 feet tall  now! She is :crazy: ! But, she does have quite the green thumb!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I grow basil, tomatoes, rosemary, thyme and oregano.  The one thing I just cannot seem to grow is garlic chives.  I've tried so many times and each time one seed germinates into a straggly little seedling then dies...

I also had started carrots and little gem lettuce until a certain pair of dogs managed to get into the patch...  :evil:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol, Well I'm not that desparate for fresh bananas to go to that extreme Lisa...Waaaayyyy too much work for me!!!! Eimear, I remember when a certain pair decided to destroy your garden.....I grow a lot of herbs as well..The chives grow wild around here, everyone thinks I'm nutz cos I'm always out there snipping them..People here think of them as weeds!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah likes peaches, pears and apples.  I hate bananas but I will have to get some for her to try.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i bought the girls some plums and nectarines. They seem to like the plums-though they were unsure at first.i also bought them some popsicles.The dreyer all natural 100% fruit and sugar free. they wouldnt touch them! we had run up to the pet store for food and when we got home were outside for a bit. It hit 102 by 1030 this morning  so they were panting. When we came in i tried giving a popsicle  and they wouldnt take it!! sighhhh guess i will just have to eat them.... :) i am going to keep trying.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts