Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am new to the forum: my name is David, but unfortunately have a problem with my 4.5 year old fawn boxer "Sparky".

A while back I was playing catch with him and was holding his toy high bc he was a jumper, and he fell on his back right leg and twisted it terribly, he limped and walked it off and wanted to play but I stopped him from doing it, he ignores any symptoms of pain.

5 months after, he fell on his back (again was jumping) and he started to twitch his head, so i massaged his neck and he was fine, this happened 2 times. The doctor told me his joints look great as well.

Recently he came in the house panting and shaking like crazy, so I took him to the vet the next morning and they took a blood test, x-ray of the heart, and x-ray of thigh and spine.

He had a heart murmur which the doctor said can be normal and should be worried about it in the future.

The x-rays showed that there was something wrong with the end of his spine causing too much pressure on his spinal chord. They gave him Prednisone (steriod anti-inflammatory)  Now every time he gets up I hear his what I believe thigh bones/joints/knees make a cracking noise, also his spine seems to be sticking up higher than normal.

PLEASE IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT, THANK YOU!

Here is my boy!!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
If you haven't already, I'd take the chain off his neck as that can't be helping any.  Without a specific diagnosis, it's hard to give any advice; it could be due to his injury, it could be something else entirely.  Did the pred help, how long ago did this happen, is he still on the pred, etc.?  Offhand if you want an alternative you could try a chiropractor or acupuncture/acupressure, I know many dogs for whom these have been quite successful.  You could give glucosamine, chondroitin, or MSM for general joint health, or green-lipped mussels (also called Perna) - I've used a product called Glyco-Flex which contains all but chondroitin.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I really don't know what it could be. It sounds pretty serious to me though. I agree to lose the chain, the weight can't be helping his spine at all. Maybe a second opinion could help you with his diagnosis. Good Luck, I hope you figure out what is going on with Sparky and can start proper treatment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That picture was from a long time ago, and the chain is only for pictures guys...

As for msm and glucosamine, those are all being given to him as we speak.

The injury happened about a week and a half ago and he is on medicine, I am going to get another check up by the end of the week.

Thanks guys,

David

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I was going to say also, if you aren't happy with his progress or what your vet is saying, I would get another opinion.  Sparky is a very handsome guy, hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It is hard to say without knowing exactly what is going on.  If the issue wuth his spine was a defect that was already there or a result of an injury, if it is a break/fracture or just swelling. Maybe it is out of location and needs to be adjusted back? this is just a hard one without seeing the dog or the X-rays....But, a spinal issue is not one to take lite....Maybe ask your vet about your long term fix options and also a product called Banamine instead of the pred if it is not seeming to help the situation. I have used this many times in Weenie Dogs who have injured their backs/spine with good success over Pred....

Good Luck and also Welcome to the Forum....Keep us updated on what is going on with him...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts