Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 yo female has a large mass on her spleen and several small masses on her lungs. The vet performed an x-ray and ultra-sound and determined that these are most likely malignancies. She also said it is most consistent with hemangiosarcoma. Is the splenectomy followed up with chemo worth it? Since it is a vascular organ, spleen removal most likely requires a blood transfusion. If you have gone through something similar, any feedback or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,125 Posts
This most likely isn’t the advice you want to hear. The survival rate after a successful splenectomy is only an additional 6-8 months. With the average survival time being around 3-4 months. Only 20% of dogs who go through this procedure get that additional time. Once the tumours have metastasized to other organs, there is very little that can be done.

I say this with nothing but love and compassion, enjoy the time you have left. Cherish each and every single day, make the most of the time you have with one another ❤

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Actually a very good friend of mine just went thru this with her 7 year old female Boxer last week. She took her in for something else some arthritis pain she was having and discovered an enlarged spleen they scheduled surgery to remove the spleen and send off for a biopsy and yes she had to have a blood transfusion. Her biopsy was confirmed hemangiosarcoma and she was given 3-4 months with that. I have a very good friend who works with chemo in dogs and she said chemo and metronomics that could give her a small amount more time its very expensive too. My friend decided to not do anything else and she said her dog is doing very well without her spleen so far and feeling good and playing again. She decided to make a bucket list for her and make whatever time she does have a happy one. Beware of those spleen tumors they have been known to break open and bleed internally. I am so sorry your dog has this its very hard knowing your dog has an expiration date but sometimes you get lucky and get more time. We send you virtual hugs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts