Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liz I need help.. I don't know if this is dominant behavior or if its just a quirk.. For a while now, I've noticed that Mia will walk up to the other dogs and cats and just stand over them.. Just out of no where most of the time... Then the other dogs usually nibble her legs and they'll start playing... Heres what I'm talking about:

You can see how Toby was just laying there and she just walked up to him and stood over his head... She isn't dominant otherwise (if this is dominant behavior).. If the other dogs give her a warning signal, she'll belly up.. And Toby and Sid "stalk" each other all the time during play.. And when Toby does this to her, she beans and wiggles up to him submissively.. Any comments?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That's what Diesel does. He'll stand over chyna like that, and mine/husbands feet.
I talked to Liz about it during one of the training chats and gave me good advice about our situation. I'm sure she'll help you with Mia.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Kenya---

I think she is pushing her boundaries to see what kind of response this behavior will get as well as trying to get someone to play with her.

Next time she does this I want you to do an experiment...I want you to get down on her level and try to get her to plat with you...

Get back to me with your results.

Elsewise, I think so long as she isn't being eaten for lunch and the others are tolerating it I think letting it go will be fine.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's exactly what Jaxon does with Bayla!!!!  Bayla is extremely tolerant of Jaxon and just looks at him like "WHAT are you doing??" lol  it's cute, but we always wonder what he's thinking.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Odin did this with us at first. If we'd lay down on the floor he'd stand over us. I let him know I didn't like it... in a nice way and he no longer does it... EVERY GREAT once in a while he'll try it but 1 out of every 50 times or so I'm on the floor.

He does do it with Kyrie though... I figure it's showing dominance... but they play and he's not rough or hurting her... so I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol yeah she does.. its weird??  :lol:

But I layed down and she just throws herself on the floor and wiggles into my neck and licks me like crazy...

I also noticed she does it A LOT to that little rat dog.. She's a lot taller than him and he perfectly fits right under her chest and belly and she'll nudge at his neck and bark... I think its play? Not sure though..

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
When I first got Kane he would do it to me all the time, especially if I was lying down, and because he was new to our family, it kind of scared me.  Like if he wants to take a bite out of me, he's in position to do just that.  I always pushed him off, and that was like an invitation to play for him.  But he wanted to rough house, and I wouldn't tolerate it.  He'd also try and put one of his paws over me as well.  I took that as him trying to dominate me, so I'd just move and put my leg over him.   Sounds kinda nutty I guess, but eventually the contest was over and he has stopped doing that.  So was it a domination thing or was he just inviting me to play?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah will do that sometimes too when we are laying in bed watching tv.  I always thought it was a dominance thing too so I just stood up and put her in a down.  It never seemed threatening to me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Our pup will do this to our 5 year old lab mix and also our 4 year old skin boy.  He's never aggressive when he's doing it but with our son it's like he is trying to tell him not to move so that he can keep an eye on him.  They are inseperatable!  He cried (the pup when my son went out to play the other day.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Harley does the same thing with Dozer, and I thought that Harley was the only one that did that!!!!! I wasn't sure what was going on, but neither of them were getting aggressive or ugly, so I just let them do it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Fredo tries to do this with Bella, our little boston neighbor. But he also tries to do this to me all the time. If i'm sitting on the floor or couch he always tries to stand over me or push up on me.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Lucy does it that the time to Sam! Or if I am sitting with my legs crossed, she will come and stand over my foot. It is like she is trying to hatch us or something...too funny!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts