Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I took Lily to the vet on the 12th, and the vet says she has a staph infection. He gave her a bottle of Cefadroxil drops, and she's finished them, but the rash/sores are still there. What does everyone think? Does this look like staph? I've never dealt with it before, so I really don't know what it looks like. I'm a little upset because she's finished her antibiotics, and it still looks basically the same! Here are a couple of pics I just took. (sorry they aren't the best quality, I'll try to get some better ones.)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Again it is hard to tell from the pics.  If it is staph then it is clearing I would think.  Genreally when I have seen it, it has been kind of red/white colored sores and wet looking...It can take a while to clear though and she looks like a big girl for using liquid on.  Cephalexin (which you had the drop form of) is the best for skin infections including staph.  How long did you give the meds? Skin issues can be aggrivating and hard to get to the bottom of.  My guess is that if you gave the meds for 2 weeks or less you may need to go for 2 more weeks.  It can take 4 to 6 weeks to clear staph.  If it looks dry and healing to you then you could use Neosporin for a week and see if it gets better or worse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dose only lasted about 1 week before it ran out. It never looked red/white or wet, it's always just looked brown and scabby. It doesn't really seem to be bothering her... maybe I'll try the Neosporin and see if that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lilmamaaud86\";p=\"40584 said:
The dose only lasted about 1 week before it ran out. It never looked red/white or wet, it's always just looked brown and scabby. It doesn't really seem to be bothering her... maybe I'll try the Neosporin and see if that helps. Thanks bunches!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I would do that...It is hard to tell from the pic (I have said that every time) but it just does not look like staph to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts