Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Poor Zoe.... :(

It sounds like Demodex, is that the same thing as a staph infection? I'm not too sure on the staph? Does she lose her fur?

Sending tons of ((((getbettersoon)))) vibes to Zoe.  :wink:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Mine gets them on his lips and nose and around face area.  Try using a zit pad (2% salicylic acid) and wiping the spots 2 -3 times a day.  It really has helped with my boy itching his face raw and having these little pimples.  Give the steriod shots the ditch.  To be honest, from the photo, they don't look too bad too me.  Dr Pitcairn in his book Natural Health for Dog and Cats says that if all your dog has for problems is skin problems count your self lucky!  

Hope this works for you.  A vet who had boxers turned me on to this.

Nano

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, we're sure it's staph.  They did a culture a while back and now it's to the point where when I see them, I just call in a script request.  

To the best of our knowledge, Zoe doesn't have allergies and she doesn't doesn't itch.  The staph infection itself doesn't itch her.  So scratching isn't a problem.  They just make her feel poorly.  The vet has determined that most likely the problem is that Zoe's immune system is less than perfect which is why her body can't fight off these infections.

I have been doing a ton of research on this and thought I'd share what I found.

Staph is present on dogs skin all the time.  It remains dorment unless something irritates the skin and then the staph invades and multiplies.  An open scratch can start it.  Raw skin from scratching can cause it.  Dogs who have allergies are more prone to staph infections due to the scratching.  

And some dogs have staph hypersensitivity and are actually allergic to the staph itself.  

It's treated with antibiotics and medicated shampoo and if reoccuring with steroid injections.  Reoccuring is more than 4 times a year.  

The reason we are considering the injections is because the problem is her immune system.  

This is what it looks like when it's medium bad.  At it's worst, they are red and crusty and the hair falls out around them.  I couldn't find my other pics.  The last few times she's had it, it hasn't gotten bad because we catch it much much sooner.

[/img]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and demodex isn't the same.  Demodex is mites where as staph is a bacteria.

You might be thinking of the term dermatitis.   :wink:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I've never seen that before. It kind of looks like puppy acne or an infection from the plastic food bowls.
Thanks for the info, and I hope Zoe feels better soon!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The infection from the bowls is what we thought at first too and we switched to metal bowls.  But of course, as you can see, it wasn't her bowls. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts