Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a question for you. I took Rowdy to the Vet today because he had developed this weird rash on his belly and in his ears, and I just thought it was a normal allergic reaction. I wasn't sure to what, but something. Anyway, she taped and scraped him, and determined there wasn't any mites to suggest mange, but it did show Staph. He was diagnosed with a Staphy Pyroderma and put on antibiotics. Now my question is this; is this in response to an allergy of some sort, like to food?  He has been itchy since I switched his food and was considering switching back. He was on Blue Lamb and Rice for puppies, but I switched him to Nutro Ultra Chicken. I've heard of Chicken allergies and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this?  Any help you can give me will be so appreciated; I am at a total loss.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
If you recently switched and he developed this, then I would go back to the Lamb and rice if it worked.  Not saying that the food caused the infection however if he just started to itch on the switch, then could be the protein source of a grain that they use in it other than what was in the Lamb and rice

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Awww poor guy. Hope he starts feeling better soon.
Staph is present on your skin and your dogs skin all the time but its when something triggers the bacteria to increase causing problems. Usually when the skin becomes irritated or inflamed giving the bacteria a chance to get into the skin and cause an infection. Could be caused by flea or bug bites, allergies (from the air, food or skin contact). I think I also read that it could be caused by low thyroid hormones.
Hope that helps a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts