Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Rich-

Once again i am sorry about Keno's health issues. Please dont think of this as replacing him...b/c as we all know our babies that pass could never be replaced!

1. I have gone through that agency, and sadly had a bad experience with them. Before i got my girls i looked into this rescue. When the time came for the home visit i was super excited. The dog i wanted was coming over and i had the house dog proofed and was ready at 7a.m even though the visit wasnt until like 3 in the afternoon. The home visit came and went and i never heard back from them. I know these things work off volunteers, but after a month i was like "whats going on" so i emailed them and got a reply a few days later stating that my home was not fit for a boxer. That i had cigarette butts littering my yard (no one in my home smokes) and that i had BBQ charcoals laying around the yard (i have a gas BBQ grill) that i had wires laying everywhere (all my tv wires and such were sleeved to prevent chewing). Obviously they mixed my application up with someone elses, but it prevented me from ever adopting through them. That hurt pretty bad, i dont want to say they are a bad rescue but my experience wasnt the best.

2. i would apply to more than one yes

3. *note i have never been affiliated with or rescued from these rescues, these are the ones that turned up in my search for Texas Boxer Rescues.
www.lonestarboxerrescue.com
www.ncbr.org
www.texasboxerrescue.com

4.They are going to want to know about animals currently have. if they have been spayed.neutered, do you have a fenced yard, do you own or rent. They are going to call your vet to make sure your current animals are taken care of. To my kowledge there isnt anything you can do to expedite the process other than making sure you give as much info as possible when filling out the application.

Please keep us posted on how things go, and remember we are here for you and your family.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok a quick update, I sent in a resume to ncbr.  I am going to stick with just these 2 agencies for right now and see what happens.  Wish me luck!
Thanks Southerngirls for the help and suggestions!
-Rich

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sadly I have heard of bad experiences with some boxer rescues but mine was a good one.  At the time, I took it personally when I was told that the boxers I wanted to adopt were not right for me and my situation.  From the paragraph on the web page for them it sounded like a good match to me and my feelings were hurt. Now I realize that the fosters have the dogs living with them and know them much better than I could from reading one paragraph.  I was getting kind of frustrated then Kiah came along and she was the perfect match for me, the fosters agreed and I was able to adopt her.  So hang in there if something doesn't happen right away, it took almost 3 months from sending in the application to the time Kiah came to stay with me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
We have a home visit set up for Sunday after 3 with Legacy Boxer Rescue, and a person is supposed to be contacting me from NorCal boxer rescue.  This is fast!  Woot!  I am getting excited.  Wish us luck.
-Rich

·
Registered
359 Posts
Rich, I hope that your adoption process goes great.  Mine wasnt as rough as I thought it was going to be.  I went through Austin Boxer Rescue and they were great.  I wish you luck on Sunday!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I hope the vet visit goes well, and i am excited for you that you already have a boxer home inspection set up! i hope everything goes well, and yes we do expect updates :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
That is wonderful news, so happy that it is happening so quickly; good luck with the visit.  Keep us updated on both the adoption and what the vet says about Keno.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://www.savetheboxers.com/available2.php?dogID=711

This is the boy we are adopting!  We are so excited, however we have to wait 2-4 weeks because he is going through heartworm treatment.  Zu really likes him and he is gentle with her, which is the main selling factor.  Also he is a well behaved boy.  I can say nothing but good things about Legacy Boxer Rescue, they have been very helpful and very supportive through this whole thing.  They have great volunteers that really went out of their way to come to our home for Zu to meet almost 10 dogs before we made the decision.  If it were up to me we would have adopted 10 dogs :)!
Thanks for all of your help on these boards during the last month, we have had some trying times, thanks again for your support and suggestions.
-Rich

G

·
0 Posts
1boxer\";p=\"105132 said:
http://www.savetheboxers.com/available2.php?dogID=711
 I can say nothing but good things about Legacy Boxer Rescue, they have been very helpful and very supportive through this whole thing.  They have great volunteers that really went out of their way to come to our home for Zu to meet almost 10 dogs before we made the decision.
:thumbup:   it's always great to hear about the good rescues!  what a wonderful rescue to go through so much effort (and love) to make sure you get just the right dog.

bruce almighty is gorgeous.  what a perfect age - all calmed down and i'm sure looking forward to a nice couch to call his own to lay on.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Congratulations on your new family member. Bruce is handsome!  :D

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
What a handsome boy Bruce A. is and so happy that you found him.  I thought the our rescue had a lot of boxers but wow they have sooo many, it is so sad.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WE GET BRUCE ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON!
HE is still going through heartworm treatment, but he has done great his first 2 weeks, so they are going to let us bring him home.  I am going to ask a whole bunch of ?'s concerning this, i.e. what he can/can't do and how to care for him.  I know there are some Vets on here that might help me out with this too so if you have any info please share.  Maybe give me some ?'s I should ask, that maybe I havent thought of or maybe I dont know to ask.  We are doing a foster application also in case something does go wrong we can get care for him at no cost to us for the duration of his HW treatment, so that is a +.  I am nervous/excited, its going to be good having a new boy around the house for all of us especially ZU.
Thanks for your help and support!
-Rich

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
That is wonderful news! How old is Bruce? What rescue did you get him from? Zu will probably be so excited to have another companion. Sam did a lot better than I expected with Skylar's passing and the introduction of a new pup.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts