Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
i would suggest that either a) stop playing tug of war with the dog. it presents a struggle of power when there should be none.  it should always be clear to the dog who is in charge.  if you want to keep playing tug of war with the dog i would suggest b) never let the dog win.  if she bites your hands give a firm NO and make sure it is clear that biting is not acceptable.  continue working on the "drop" as well.   our dog is super responsive to treats, so we tought betty to drop by saying giving the drop command and trading the toy for a treat.  it didn't take her long to figure out that if i said drop & she did it she would get a reward.  but turning things like tug-of-war & walking (for example) into situations where the dog is not asserting power, but still enjoying the activity are great ways to curb these sorts of issues - i think :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
When I play tug of war with Hoosier, he only wins 10% of the time. Always keep the TOW toy afterwards. Trading the toy for a treat has also been an effective tactic, but now he drops it in order for me to play with him again. The book "The Loved Dog" by Tamar Geller makes the same suggestions. Other sugestions she makes for establishing yourself as Alpha:

1. Be sure to walk out of the door first
2. You should have a higher and better sleeping position; he should only come into your bed when invited.
3. You (and preferrably your family) should eat first, even if it is just a cup of coffee.
4. The TOW suggestion above along witth being the one to initiate and terminate the game.

I've done all of these an it seems to work. She also provides an effective technique for nipping.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I agree with Amberto, cut out the tug-o-war.  Lead dogs don't play that game with the other members of the dog pack.  

Nano

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
This is not aggression,  you have entered the "teenage" phase of puppydom and it is the push the envelope routine to see how much they can boss you and manipulate you.  You need to set clear and consistant rules and have consequences for the inappropriate behaviors which are followed thru each and every time.  Maybe Liz can give you some advice on this or read some of the training forums.

Nano

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree, this isn't an aggression problem.  This is a playful stage and she doesn't know her own strength.  If she bits your hand and it hurts, it's perfectly fine to recoil and say OUCH!  Even if it doesn't hurt that badly, she needs to understand our skin is not as tough as hers...and they do learn that.

--

As for teaching her "drop"...it's pretty simple, and you're already on the right track.  There are a few things she must know first, such as how to bit or play tug of war...or how to go and fetch even if it's just a few feet away, that'll work.

So go get two identical toys.  Toss the one, she'll go get it, bring it back.  Pull out the other toy and get her interest going with that one.  As soon as she drops the first toy, "good girl, yay" get her all excited with the second toy, praise her, and toss her second toy.  Once she realizes that dropping the first toy and getting the second toy is better because you get REALLY happy and she gets another toy to go bite, and she knows what to do, add the command "drop" or "out"

Pretty easy little trick and works really well.  No treats required either :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
well keep in mind guys she isnt playing tug of war-Lola tries to play but that isnt what the game is.

I am semi on board with it not being aggresson, but i can see the problem. You def dont want her growling or what not just because she isnt going to get her way. I wish i could offer advice but the best i can say is dont let her get away with things. If she tried to play tug-of-war while you are trying to teach drop it, stop and get up and walk away. dont stay on her level and give her a chance to try and keep playing with you. good job on moving her even though she growled, that is also a good way to let her know she isnt going to get what she wants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts