Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG!!!! ABBEY IS IN HEAT. WE SHOULD HAVE HAD HER FIXED WHEN SHE WAS A PUPPY, BUT NOW AT 1 1/2 AND THE SECOND TIME IN HEAT WE ARE MAKING THAT APPOINTMENT. NO BREEDING HERE. WE JUST HAD A NEAR MISS WITH THE MALE NEXT DOOR. SO SCARY. HE IS I DONT KNOW WHAT. HE LOOKS LIKE THE STATUE OF THE SPHINX OR ANUBIS IN ANCIENT EGYPT. A LITTLE BLACK SHINY CHIHUAHUA MIX. HE WALKS WITH HIS BACK ALL HUNCHED UP AND HE SHAKES. TRULY HORRID. HES BEEN AT OUR BACK DOOR WHICH IS SLIDING GLASS, AND WHEN WE WALK OUT HE HAS THE NERVE TO BARK AT US IN OUR OWN YARD. WE HAD ABBEY OUT ON HER SWIVEL STAKE AND HE SOMEHOW GOT IN THE FENCE. HE COULDNT GET TO CLOSE TO HER CAUSE SHE WAS JUMPING AROUND LIKE A FOOL. SHE WOULD HAVE TRAMPLED HIM. I TOLD MY MOM ABOUT IT AND SHE SAID A LADY A COUPLE OF DOORS DOWN FROM HER HAS A BOXER/CHIHUAHUA MIX. GROSS!!!! ITS A LITTLE SMALLER THAN A BOXER AND WITH A LONG SNOUT. CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT. THE MOM WAS A BOXER AND THE DAD WAS THE CHIHUAHUA. HOW THE HECK? KEEPING A CLOSE EYE ON MY GIRL UNTIL WE GET TO THE VET.
       MY ADVICE------GET YOUR DOG FIXED WHEN THEY ARE YOUNG...ITS ALOT LESS TROUBLE

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Darn boys are only after one thing :lol:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Or, don't leave your bitch in season unattended in the yard. :)  I just posted elsewhere what you've learned first-hand - dogs will do whatever it takes to get to a bitch in season!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
where is the chi's family? make them look after him lol. But lucky you caught it before you had a mess on your hands!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yea, I have to agree with Donya, where is the other dog's owners? But definitely, this is a valuable lesson to everyone who is thinking of NOT spaying...Like Jennifer said, where there is a will, there is a way..I would keep Abbey inside as much as possible, except for potty breaks til she has finished her season, just to be safe

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hmm...I was just wondering about a week ago if a boxer and chi could actually mate.  8O  I guess anything is possible! Good luck getting through this heat with Abbey.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am with Jennifer. I would think the female's owner is to take the responsibility, not the male's owner. Obviously we don't know the whole story, but lets say both yards are fenced. He just happened to get over to your yard. It would be silly to expect them to keep their dog inside, or extra attention, because someone else's dog is in heat. At any rate, glad she is still "single" lol.

I do have a question though, I swear I read somewhere that it is better to spay/neuter after a year. About health resons. Any opinions/facts?

Also, I feel bad for mutts on this board. I personally want a pure bred, and HATE BYB and puppy mills, but it is not the dogs' fault that they are mutts, and SOOOO many people here, refer them almost like lepers. :(

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I would think the female's owner is to take the responsibility, not the male's owner.
In most areas this is a legal situation, as well; the owner of a bitch in heat is often held liable for any damage caused by dogs trying to get to her.  (A bitch in a fenced yard, even if unattended, might be given more leniency, but would probably not be subject to awards for damages to their property.  I know a Boxer who jumped the fence to the yard behind and killed a male Chow, because there was also a female Chow in season back there; the Boxer's owner was not held liable for the death of the male Chow, because of the bitch in season.)

I swear I read somewhere that it is better to spay/neuter after a year. About health resons. Any opinions/facts?
It's been discussed here before, but in a nutshell there are risks and benefits to spay/neuter at any age, and to younger vs. older - it's really a decision that needs to be made on an individual basis for each dog, depending on their specific situation. :)

Some goods articles which discuss both the risks and the benefits are these:
Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay / Neuter in Dogs
Determining the optimal age for gonadectomy of dogs and cats

(Both are PDF files)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IT WAS AT NIGHT, I WENT AND KNOCKED ON THE OWNERS DOOR. WE ARE FRIENDS AND OUR KIDS PLAY TOGETHER. WE ARE KEEPING A STRICT WATCH OVER HER NOW. HE SQUEEZES HIS SELF OUT OF HIS GATE THEN SQUEEZES IN OURS. IF WE WERE TO HAVE PUPS WE WOULD LOVE THEM NO MATTER MIXED OR PURE. EVERYDOG HAS A RIGHT TO BE LOVED. BUT I WOULD PREFER NO PUPS FOR NOW. WE WILL GET HER A SISTER OR BROTHER AFTER OUR PRIVACY FENCE IS UP. BESIDES THERE WOULD PROBABLY BE 20 PUPPIES AS SMALL AS HE IS.LOL

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ok, for those of you who were wondering how "it" can happen with a boxer and a chihuahua.  When i was a kid people in the neighborhood let their dogs run loose, all of the time.  I actually saw a female in heat (don't know her breed) back up to the curb so that this smaller pug-looking dog could get her.  Freaked me out, and still does to this day!!  They really will do anything!!

And Draken, i'm with you, it's not the mutt's fault that someone didn't take care of their dog and an illegitimate litter was born.  Some of the best dogs i ever had were mutts that we got from the pound, and one of my babies is one of those now!   :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts