Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How old were your boxer's when they were house trained. Tank is 5 months and today for example I took him out twice in 40mins and then when I come in I use the bathroom and when I come out he is squating in the living room so I say no and take him outside and he sits there looking at me for 10mins as im saying Tank go poop. So I get his leash out and take him out to the middle of the yard and after another 5 mins he finally goes poop. So im I still asking too much? I mean to be outside twice in 40mins and not poop then try to poop in the house not even 2 mins later. I should add that it was raining out but he still peed and the last time he went out it wasnt raining just wet.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Boxers take a little while longer than most breeds to get the hang of it. It took Xena at least 6months to mostly get it with an occasional accident for a while after. Even at almost 3, on very rare (VERY rare) occasions she still does it. Hang in there....and remember to PRAISE THEM LIKE CRAZY and maybe even give treats when they do their business outside. Even at 3 years old, I taught Xena a new command recently by praising her like crazy and giving a spoonful of peanut butter everytime she complied. Then I cut it down to just praise....and now she does it regardless.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Let me emphasize how rarely she does it now...don't want people thinking I got a dumb dog. Its only on the VERY RARE occasions when she didn't want to go out the night before and my mother doesn't let her out the following morning because "she looked so cute sleeping and I didn't want to disturb her." Your dog will not be crapping the house forever. They're very smart dogs just a little A.D.D.ish. Continue the training and he will get it. (Remember the praise!)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I do give him treats when he goes to the bathroom. I was thinking about cutting it down to just when he poops then mybe he would get the idea that he gets rewarded for poop outside not in. But I dont want that to mess up his peeing.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
6 months is about the norm for boxers..We talked about this at my last meetup...Everyone pretty much agreed with that...Even then, it's not uncommon to have the occasional accident, but not many....We've started letting Angel out of the crate at nite, actually Marq started that when I was in Hawaii and she's done great, but, then she turned around and had 2 accidents in the house during the day, so you just don't know....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie was potty trained for the most part between 3 and 4 months old.  He did have a couple slip-ups before he was completely potty trained.   He would do everything perfectly for a month or so then he'd pee.  It'll make ya scratch your head.  Keep at it, at his age all the hard work is pretty much done.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Jessie will be a year on the 25th and she still has an occasionaly accident.  But its usually our fault for over sleeping.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Reese is 4 months old and she still has accidents if we dont watch her.Typically though i dont let her out of my site. The only other times she has an accident is when my boyfriend lets them out of the kennel and doesnt immediatley take them out-he will let them roam for a while. Savannah is 2, but was never house trained before she came to us. She holds her and will only potty 3 times a day and poo only 1 time. She has had an accident yesterday because she refused to go potty the first three times she went out and then couldnt hold it any longer. My advice is make sure they have a schedule and stick to it. this has really helped Reese and regulating often she goes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am having the same problem. Bailey is 5 months old and will have an accident in the house when it rains. I have a hard time getting her to go outside in the rain! I am trying the treats again - just started today.

Linda

·
Registered
948 Posts
If you can't watch him for even a second, you might want to consider crating him or tying him to your belt loop that way you can watch his every move.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Abby is 11 months now and it is only in the past month that she is starting to get the hang of it (we rescued her at 5.5 months, so she had a late start to training). I still watch her like a hawk though, still do treats, still make a huge fuss...but I was SOO proud the other morning, a sure sign that she is starting to get it:
I was in the shower and kept popping my head out to see her (I keep her in the bathroom with me while I shower so I can keep an eye on her) and I see her start to pace. I was like, oh no....I hustle through my shower, jump out, she's pacing like mad, I grab my towel, dry off, looking at me like, come ON mom!!, grab my bathrobe, and down the stairs we go...now at least 7 minutes must have passed...I get her out on the runner, she runs behind hte mud room and pees and poops instantly and comes running back to me!!!!! How PROUD of her was I! She actually bothered to wait!! The whole time she was pacing, I just kept saying,"Hang in there Ab..hold on..."  Non-stop chattering with her so she knew I was paying attention to her...maybe that helped.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Roxy was 3 months old when I got her and she was housetrained and crate-trained a month later.  Astro is still having trouble getting the hang of it at 9 and a half months old.  He doesn't go potty in the house, only in his crate.  He does the same thing though...We take him out for a walk and if he doesn't go potty then he doesn't get to play and we put him in the crate.  We'll take him back out again in about 20-30 minutes and he'll go potty outside.  The only real problem he has is if we're gonna be going out, we take them for a walk and make sure they go "pee" and "poo".  We then put them in their crates, but even if we've only been gone for 5-10 minutes, we always come back to Astro with poop in his cage.  We don't know if he hates being alone, even though Roxy is in her crate in the same room, or if he's doing it because he's mad at us for leaving him home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts