Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about at my Wit's End. I have a 4 year old boxer named pumpkin who potty trained wonderfully. She had an accident every now and then until she was 6 months but never has accidents anymore. I now have a nine month old Boxer named the nutmeg. She is still having accidents on the floor.. At first she was peeing on my couch. Then the stairs, and then just tonight she peed on the brand new dog bed that I bought. I don't know what to do. Only thing I can think of is she does it when she is not getting what she wants. Before we thought it was because she was locked in the living room when we were on the other end of the house. I'm not sure if giving her free-range made things better or if it was a coincidence. Tonight I was using the restroom and I heard her winning a little bit because she couldn't jump on the bed. For whatever reason she hasn't figured out she can jump on the bed and wants to be put on the bed every night. When I came out of the bathroom which was just a minute or two, she peed on the dog bed. No indication of needing to go outside, just turn normal whining to get on the bed. Any tips? It's never taken this long for me to Potty train a dog before and with a one-year-old baby it's just crazy difficult with her

Attachments

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Well I for one thing would not give a dog free roam of the house until they earn that right. They must be potty trained and not chew things they shouldn't. Some dogs do not give you an indication that they need to go out so you will need to monitor and put her on a schedule. Feed her the same times each day and take her out to potty basically the same times each day. You will more or be trained by her as you will learn her schedule. I agree also having a 1 year old makes it triple hard to train a dog. I would also gate her off to one area of the house where it is drier to clean up any mess and use a enzyme cleaner like simple solution. Really at her ge once you get a set schedule for her it she go fairly quick and when you can't watch her you will just need to confine her to a room or crate. For an example my dogs go out to potty 6 am and then are fed. In the beginning they went out again 20 min later, now its about 9:30 or 10. Then again they go out at 1, 4, and are fed their 2nd meal. My one dog will need to go potty shortly after and that is usually when we the a walk, then about 8:30-9 pm last time out and are put to bed, some are crated others not. I'm sure you will get her trained in time. You may also want a vet to check her out to be sure she doesn't have any medical reason.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
9 months old and still going in the house. I personally would have the vet take a look, make sure there arent underlying issues.

Is she spayed? There is something called spay incontinence.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We tried sectioning her off but that seemed to cause more accidents. I'll have to pay more more attention to scheduling. Hadn't really thought of that because it's never been an issue with our other boxer even when she was a puppy. My husband is a school bus driver and I'm a dispatcher so sometimes our schedules aren't set in stone. We're going to be getting her spayed soon so I don't know if that will help. I'll talk to her vet. We use Nature's Miracle to clean up
Well I for one thing would not give a dog free roam of the house until they earn that right. They must be potty trained and not chew things they shouldn't. Some dogs do not give you an indication that they need to go out so you will need to monitor and put her on a schedule. Feed her the same times each day and take her out to potty basically the same times each day. You will more or be trained by her as you will learn her schedule. I agree also having a 1 year old makes it triple hard to train a dog. I would also gate her off to one area of the house where it is drier to clean up any mess and use a enzyme cleaner like simple solution. Really at her ge once you get a set schedule for her it she go fairly quick and when you can't watch her you will just need to confine her to a room or crate. For an example my dogs go out to potty 6 am and then are fed. In the beginning they went out again 20 min later, now its about 9:30 or 10. Then again they go out at 1, 4, and are fed their 2nd meal. My one dog will need to go potty shortly after and that is usually when we the a walk, then about 8:30-9 pm last time out and are put to bed, some are crated others not. I'm sure you will get her trained in time. You may also want a vet to check her out to be sure she doesn't have any medical reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's been spayed yet. Will be getting her spayed shortly. I'll talk to the vet. I know this sounds crazy but I swear sometimes she does it when she's not getting her way or she's anxious. But that could also just be me thinking she's a human.
9 months old and still going in the house. I personally would have the vet take a look, make sure there arent underlying issues.

Is she spayed? There is something called spay incontinence.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
We'll you may be onto something..anxioius...it is very possible that when she gets anxiety the she becomes incontinent. Especially since you say it happened more when you would gate her off and it sounds like it happens when you leave the room. I think this is worth mentioning to the vet. I'm not real sure how to treat this. Possibly drug therapy and/or a behaviorist. Does she do it anytime at all even when your in the room or only when you walk out.?

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Hmmm, it seems there is a lot of the "My others dogs , did or didn't do ..." thing going on lately?? It's happening to me "now" but moving on. Step one is gonna be take a step back and relax. :)

You kinda blew this off buttt off.:
9 months old and still going in the house. I personally would have the vet take a look, make sure there aren't underlying issues.
But "sudden changes in behaviour" first step is, see a vet. She might have a UTI??? Was there a change in diet?? And as a general rule, owners that rely on "fixing" to solve a dogs issues ... are often disappointed but hey YRMV???

Next the fact that she won't on the bed and pees on the furniture and around the house,
also says, your not using a Crate, the dog is allowed on the furniture and she "Free Roams" indoors. Most "Pro's" don't allow any of that crap, average Pet owners do. Most "Pro's" don't have "issues" with "Dogs Behaving Badly Indoors" and much most "Average Pet Owners Do," so there is that. :)

Now for the record with our new rescue Boxer/Pit one year old and already Crate Trained! :)

I was "going too do all of the parts in bold!" But yeah ... I kinda sucked at it. The sleeping in the Crate thing lasted "exactly one night!" Bella was good with it I was not and yep ... she is free roaming in the home, she gets up on the furniture and of course she sleeps in bed with me. But she also has no serious behavior issues (well there was the cat issue) but that is under control. The only "serious issue??" I had to deal with "was" a general level of "indoor craziness!"

Where she was, both owners had weird schedules and she was "Crated" a lot! And now she not and was doing a lot of "play with me, play with me and in your face kinda craziness!" And now she was "Free!" :)

So "work to do." And the very first things we started with were "Walking, Exercise and training "Place." Training Place and doing Sit on the Dog, is how one deals with general levels of anxiety, fear and well "everything." Throwing them in a Crate teaches or changes "nothing" in there general behaviour ... they don't learn to "Chill??" Learning to "Chill" is a "thing." And it is a a "Skill" that needs to be taught.

If your dog were trained in "place" ... you'd not need to confine her (out of sight) on the other end of the house. But you have a lot more issues to deal with I did. But training "Place and doing Sit on the Dog" should be a big part of the "process" to get her under control.

Now all this said ... you should still have a vet check her for a UTI?? As there maybe something wrong there?? In anycase ... welcome aboard, and sorry your having issues.

And as regards the "Place and Sit on the Dog" thing ... see here.:
https://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

Hmm, I guess I need to update that thread. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
I agree with above, that I'd have the vet check for any concerns.
Something that helped us with our older boys (when they were puppies, and before we had a doggie door) was to hang a lanyard with a large bell (like the bell in The Polar Express - craft stores should have them this time of year) from the door to the backyard. (Since they were still chewing on everything, we put the bell inside a small metal bucket and taped it up good so they couldn't possibly chew and choke on the bell).

We started by getting them to the door, taking one of their paws, and ringing the bell with it, then opening the door and taking them out to go.
They caught on pretty quick that when they needed to go out, they would go over and ring the bell (swat it with their paw). Then we'd let them out. It worked well for us.

For our new puppy, he had a collar and I'd leash him and walk him into the backyard- always to the same area, and not playing with anything in the yard until he did his business. This helped a lot for his night trips because he couldn't run all over or play, so the trips were quick. It was probably a month or so before he could make it all night without a night trip. At your puppies age, she should be OK to last for longer periods.

As noted above, staying on as much of a regular routine as possible helps too. Eventually you would be able to let her go out on her own, but controlling when and where may help stop the inside issues. Giving her a clear way to communicate to you (like the bell) may help you both since whining can mean so many things...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts