Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we took brodi to the vet tonight for a check up and the vet is still telling me he is too thin. he was 21 pds when he was there 9 days ago and today he is 25 and he is 13 1/2 weeks old. all his ribs and hip bones show but i just figured he had a growth spurt and needed some time to catch up. he has been wormed twice now and his fecal test came back fine tonight. i have been giving him boiled chicken and cottage cheese every so often but the vet said to increase his dog food a bit. i am already giving him a little over a cup of timberwolf ocean blue a day. their feeding instructions say SMALL: 15 - 30 LBS (7 - 14 kg) 100 - 245 grams or 3/4 - 1 3/4 cups, so i am already feeding him over the amount he should be getting. would it be safe to increase it some more? i just dont want to feed him too much and have joint problems down the road.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I overfeed Oscar a little bit from the recommended amount, he needs extra nutrients for growing, and Oscar is very active!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I think there's a "disclaimer" on most petfoods that say something about the recommended feeding guidelines will vary depending on the activity level and type of dog.

Phoenix's bag of food says:

"The following daily intakes are intended as a starting point and should be adjusted to maintain optimum body weight. Individual requirements will vary depending on environment, exercise, temperature, metabolism, breed and stress factors."

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, timberwolf says something like that too but to increase his food means i will be giving him like a cup and a half a day and that seems like a lot because timberwolf is really rich but i also notice it says PLEASE DO NOT OVER FEED! so im just a little confused because like i said he is already getting more then he should be.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would definately up the food amount.  I never have had a boxer puppy go by the amount recommended on the bag.  I usually have to feed twice the amount due to their high-energy level.

Nano

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I'd say you'd be alright if Brodi is quite active (which I'm sure he is) as long as the protein content in the food isn't very high.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
his weight seems healthy, but I'm no vet.  the first week we had our puppy we decided she was too thin and started feeding her more and she started throwing up (it was basically just food, partially digested) so maybe you can try to feed him a bit more and see how he does with that.  When she threw up we went back down to smaller doses but only twice a day and for lunch I give her peanut butter with apples sauce or bananas and or cottage cheese/yogurt.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Are those the feeding instructions for puppies, or adult dogs? Puppies need much more than adults b/c they are growing- and expend tons of energy.
Ultimately it is what he looks like, not the weight.  Felix was really ribby at that age too.  Couldn't see his spine, but almost all of his ribs were visible and his hips were trying to stick out.  He wasn't even finishing his food at meal times and he ate 4 times a day.  He ate about 2-2.5 cups of Canidae then I think.
Normally you wouldn't want them that thin but I think its just a stage boxer pups go through.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I agree with gOOdgirl.  Puppies do require a different amounts than adult dogs.

I too have been having a hard time trying to put some weight back on Temp now that his health concerns have cleared up.  I wasn't sure how much to feed so I contacted the company of the raw food he's on and spoke with my vet as well.  Pretty much I was told to increase his food by half a cup each day up to a maximum number of cups but if I noticed a change in his stools I was told to back off on upping his food anymore.

Best of luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts