Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone- I was wondering if there is any miracle dog shampoo that keeps them from... well... smelling like dogs  :lol:

My 2 fur balls are 10 weeks old and quite frankly my living room (where their crate / main play area is) smells like dog.  So far I am using a puppy shampoo that I got at Petsmart but it only lasts maybe 1 day and then it's like they never even got a bath.  I saw on a few posts that people shampoo is okay for them? Any suggestions on what works best?

Thanks!

·
Registered
839 Posts
I use a shampoo that I get from my vets office, Its called HyLyte. It smells like coconuts, and lasts for a few days, and between baths he has his "perfume" CK9 ( instead of Calvin Klines perfume CK One) LOL!!!! Its made just for dogs.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I wouldn't bathe them often, shampoo can mess with their natural skin oils.  I definitely don't think you should use human shampoo, its too harsh.  An oatmeal based pet shampoo would be the best.  But boxers really shouldn't be bathed very often.  My vet told me he never needs a bath unless he gets into something.  Wet wipes are pretty good for a quick clean-up.  I've actually found that the puppy smell diminishes after a few weeks.  If your house smells, clean the house...not the dog.  It's not their fault they are dogs.   :D

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
What food are you feeding?  IMO I think diet has a definate effect on smell.   As far as bathing, yep Sully's got it.  Less is more.  By bathing them too much you strip their skin of needed assential oils.  Without these oils the skin can become dry and irritated.   Mine get like two to three baths a year.   In between I use special whipes formulated for dogs.

As in the shampoo ones geared for dogs like Sully said are the ones to us.  Dogs have different Ph levels than human and these type of dog shampoos are formulated esp for their ph levels.  The others can caus alergies as well as dry out the skin.   I use and like earthbath oatmeal - www.earthbath.com

Also they to make some inbetween spritzers for dogs you can use here and there, but think if feed a good rounded diet, keept the house clean of danger, use whipes here and there, you should be fine.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Boxers really don't need baths very often. Unless mine get into something, I bathe mine every couple months. Get some unscented plain baby wipes, they work great for in between cleanings. Also it could be whatever blankets or whatever that you have in the crate, or possibly any accidents that have happened. Nature's Miracle works really well for removing odors from carpet & from linens and such...I also prefer the oatmeal shampoo for when I do give baths, they are very mild and don't dry their skin out.

My sister was here over the w/end and I asked her point blank if my house smelled like dogs(i was curious), said she couldn't even tell I had dogs, so you might try scented candles, room deodrizers and cleaning the carpets real well....Is their crate the wire kind or plastic? If it's plastic, that also needs to be cleaned out really well too...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts