Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've had a read through the forum and got some info on pulling but I would just like to know what everyone's favourite ended up being. Those who tried everything....what finally worked?

I've tried collar only, front clip harness, bombproof boxer loose lead training, stop start approach, change direction approach.

Sometimes she does well but most time she doesn't, she has zero focus on walks, not interested in food.

She is around 16 month old, does it get easier after the adolescent stage or will boxers just chase leaves, cats, dogs, bikes forever?

Yet to try the head collar, struggling getting her to wear it without her trying her hardest to take it off.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Pinch collar, I've used them on all my dogs (large dogs) for 40 years. You must use it correctly though, I see a lot of people just putting them loosely around dogs neck or even tightly but not in the proper position. After a few times your dog will understand. Of course it still pays to work with her using the walk and stop method if she gets ahead of you. I still do basic training while using the pinch collar but it sure makes it much easier on your shoulder.
And don't buy the cheap ones they are too pointed and fall apart. Get a Herm Sprenger
Anyway thats my opinion.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm a fan of a slip lead but have used a starmark, I also like that set up. I know a lot of people allow it, but my dogs are never in front of me on a walk, always in a heel position and they dont control the walk. Not allowed to stop and sniff etc.. Thats a reward for proper walking. They get their free fun time, but for me a walk isn't that time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think it depends on the situation. My 19 month old girl is getting much better, but still tends to pull and need correction often. The thing is, I live i New York City so she plays with a LOT of other dogs while on leash on the sidewalk. It's not ideal because she starts to associate pressure from the leash with fun playtime with her pals.

I could get very hardcore and stop her pulling completely by disallowing play while on leash, but that just isn't going to happen on my watch 😂 So, it's a longer struggle to get her to stop pulling, but I'm willing to persist with corrections. Like I said, she is getting better, but it's a challenge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts