Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy crap she will not quit digging! lol What should I do to keep her occupied and keep her from digging up roots from the big tree I have in my back yard? lol

Its funny but at the same point in time it sucks! Silly boxer digging is for goofers.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
hahaaaaaaaaa well i am not aloud per order of Isis,.,to have plants of any kind, shrubs or bushes...she dug them all up..and proceeded to whip them over her shoulder one by one...

it was a RIOT...but ya i know wha tyou mean lol its still funny though

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Lola's a digger!  Killed one azalea bush in our yard and a bush in our neighbors.  The best is when you clean her all up to go to a cookout....put her outside to potty....and come back to find her COVERED in dirt and mud!   :roll:
I asked our trainer about it and they said she's digging because she's board!  When I see her digging I say no and turn her attention to a ball or chew toy.  Works sometimes.  Good luck!  I think we may just have to get used to holes in our yards!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Make her a sandbox where she is allowed to dig.  If she had a place to dig, then hopefully this will deter her from digging at the tree.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Haven't had this problem (yet) but I would think you basically just have to supervise her and correct her when she does it.  Left unsupervised,  you better get used to holes in your yard!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
How To Prevent Destructive Digging

Inactivity and long periods of isolation in a yard, garage or other enclosure can contribute to a variety of behavioral problems, including destructive digging and chewing, nuisance barking, hyperactivity, extreme neediness for attention, and indiscriminate and inappropriate aggression (ie: towards children, innocent passers-by, and other dogs).

Causes of Destructive Digging

Inactivity and insufficient exercise.
Boredom and lack of stimulation
Isolation and loneliness
Frustration, and prey-drive or territorial aggression.
This is a common reaction to seeing dogs, other animals, or  people
(including children that tease or run by) on the other side of  fence.
Attempts to escape, in order to roam or play with neighborhood  dogs
Genetic propensity. Terriers are especially prone to dig
Prey drive and hunting instint (digging for moles, rats,  gophers, rabbits, etc.)
Digging into the cool earth in order to escape hot  temperatures
To explore or find something new or interesting
Natural denning instinct
To bury bones, toys, food or other objects.
To look for "hidden treasure", good smells, etc.
Because digging is fun.

Solutions for Destructive Digging

At least 1 to 2 hours of active outdoor exercise (yard  exercise is not enough!)
At least one long (45-90 minutes) leash walk per day
Play dates with other friendly dogs (unless your dog is  dog-aggressive)
Create a digging pit (at least 5' x 5') filled with dirt or a  sand-clay mixture.
Sufficient daily companionship
Other contructive outlets such as: obedience training,  agility, flyball,
flying dics, trick training, retrieving, tracking, Schutzhund,  SAR, etc.
Filling holes with dog feces to discourage your dogs from  enlarging holes.
(This will not prevent your dog from digging new holes  however.)
Squirting a light water spray (with a water pistol or hose)  towards dog just as s/he begins to dig a hole. (Obviously, this  is NOT recommended during winter or cool weather.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts