Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there ^-^; been a long time since I joined a forum but figured this would be the best place to look for help outside of hiring a professional trainer; we have a boxer/pit breed pup, she's just over a year old and she's the sweetest girl when she's not high on her zoomies or under played with on that day. but she has an incredibly honed prey drive, and while we were able to teach her no to hurt her brothers(our cats, especially our oldest boy who is 15) so she gets that cats arent food she likes to try to play with the younger cat but he finally stopped only running from her and has started fighting back and shell recall once he hits his cat tree if he dose run(she'll only chase him if he runs he just doesn't seem to understand he can walk off and be fine) the problem comes with our neighbor, she has 2 macaw's and at least 20 - 30 chickens and both our girls (Tosca our boxer/pit/lab mix just over a year and her sister Mavis, about 5 year old Shiba inu) love to sit at the fence and watch the chickens and while both of them can sit stay watch me and leave it the puppy energy cant be denied and when the chickens end up in our yard(neighbor has 4 pit mix dogs she doesn't exercise that love to dig into our yard to escape and the chickens find the hole)

This morning there were 5 chickens in our back yard and i saw them from the screened in deck, i kept the girls in the deck and tried to catch/startle the chickens into their yard, i got one to jump over when Tosca realized the screen door latch was broken and the only thing keeping her there was a chair in her way she darted to the chicken i was trying to catch and I don't know if she things they are toys or food but either way i have no want for my pup to be the reason her chickens die so i grabbed her scruff and tried to make her listen but it was futile, she got out of my grip and started to wrestle another one down before i got a better grip and was able to get her back in the house.

My biggest question for all of you is how do you snap your dogs out of that hunting mind set when you do not have then leashed like when I'm in the back yard? this isn't the first time she's gotten a hold of the chickens and she almost got one of the macaws when it perched on the fence and refused to fly away when she was clearly intent on getting it... hope to get some tips from those of you who have had boxers and boxer/pit mixes with a similar energy
a pic of her being a good girl and doing a watch me and waiting for a take it for her dinner :3

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
This is a hard one to fix. Some dogs just do have a high prey drive and some dogs are just territorial. My dogs are well rounded and socialized but if something is in my yard that doesn't belong there and I don't see it first they will chase it out of the yard (ie cats) they live with my house cat but they view other cats in our yard as a not happening. I walk in woods and fields and sometimes we see deer and all the other animals but birds flying up really excite them. I would suggest first of all talking to your neighbor about her animals and tell her she needs to keep them in her yard because you can't be responsible for what happens to them on your property. And you wouldn't want them harmed. I would leash her for awhile when you go outside to make sure the coast is clear and there is nothing out there unfortunately unless you get some cooperation this is going to be very hard to correct.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unless you get some cooperation this is going to be very hard to correct.
Thanks for the insight and as far as cats and such she 100% is trying to play with them, her cat gets into out yard some times and she chases him about but shes not able to catch him and he and her will hang out by the fence and he will tease her out the window, but its a totally different look in her face from 'that's a play mate' to looking any thing avian as 'that is food' and i have talked to her and she says she understands but saying something now and how she'll feel if i cant stop it in the future are different and luckly we have a screen in porch so i can scan for anything before i let them out and just take them out into the front yard on their leashes :3

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Seems a shame your neighbor doesn't seem to be able to keep her animals in her yard even though you have expressed concerns to her you are afraid your dog may harm one of them.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
I guess similar energy level mean's, "Bat Crap Crazy??" And yep I'm pretty sure my current Boxer/Pit (Bella) can match your girl? My first one Stewie, was not as "intense," but I got him as a pup and he was male, those two thing's can make a difference, apparently?

Turning Drive on and off, can be really difficult! Once dog's enter the "Zone," they can't hear you.
In civilian world what work's best is "clamping down unwanted behavior, before it escalates." Now that does not help you address anything?? But I hope it help's you better understand what is going on??

I do have more but it does seem that your irresponsible neighbor is the source of your problems? It's this now and it will be something else down the road? Are your dog's fixed, cuz I would bet there's are not? And I am pretty sure it's a waste of time, but have you tried talking to them?? And is patching hole's on your side doable? We don't know how long the property line is? And yes this should not be on you, but you care and they do not apparently??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have more but it does seem that your irresponsible neighbor is the source of your problems? It's this now and it will be something else down the road? Are your dog's fixed, cuz I would bet there's are not? And I am pretty sure it's a waste of time, but have you tried talking to them?? And is patching hole's on your side doable? We don't know how long the property line is? And yes this should not be on you, but you care and they do not apparently??
Yes XD we patch up the holes when we find them, and yeah our girls are fixed and her boys and girl are not, of course, but their good dog over all just board out of their skulls... she AT LEAST keeps the female separate from them when shes in heat but that did little to make me feel better when we had to wait through our pups first heat cause she had red mange at 6 months and couldn't get fixed without going bald, i was always watching them to see if they would try to get under to get a go cause lord knows i saw WAY to much of those male dogs at that time x.x, but i can def try to be a bit quicker to pick up her tells :3

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Yeah so far they sound like "Bad Pet," neighbor 101. I'm sorry, about that, is their any fence fighting and her dog's barking uh, all the time?? Is that going on??

Bella does not do that cuz, it's my rule's but our neighbor dog's on both sides will try. But she won't engage. And for the hole repair, what seems to work is lining the hole with chicken wire, staking it down and filling it with some gravel and adding some powered concrete and water. And yes the other dog's will just move to a new spot, but eventually the whole fence line will be reinforced if they keep it up. And yes it is more stuff you should not have to do, sigh.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah so far they sound like "Bad Pet," neighbor 101. I'm sorry, about that, is their any fence fighting and her dog's barking uh, all the time?? Is that going on??

Bella does not do that cuz, it's my rule's but our neighbor dog's on both sides will try. But she won't engage. And for the hole repair, what seems to work is lining the hole with chicken wire, staking it down and filling it with some gravel and adding some powered concrete and water. And yes the other dog's will just move to a new spot, but eventually the whole fence line will be reinforced if they keep it up. And yes it is more stuff you should not have to do, sigh.
lol well i am starting to see her 3rd boy never returned home after their last escape... but they are all good dogs her oldest boy is lewie and hes just that lovable cuddly just give me attention and let me love you kinda pit/lab mix with some aggression towards his brother sons... yeah... i remembered after my last post that he and her female who are brother sister from the same litter had puppys before she learned to keep the boys away during her heat >> but any aggression they shows very clearly frustration and boredom, they will just bolt up and down the fence with my girl and then stop to sniff and be friendly seems to be the highlight of their day but she tried chicken wire when we first moved in about 1.5 years ago and they just dug farther back to get under it... and that was AFTER she had to put up extra 1 and a half of fence to keep the female from going over the fence and they resorted to digging XD their to smart for her for sure

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to anyone who may be curious to an update to this, we had gotten a special collar for our shiba to detur her from randomly charging our pup and being a spastic mess, shes now medicated and has been much better about it, so we put the collar on our pup, it is technically a shock collar but it also has a rumble setting, and its worked super well :3 it just kinda shakes like the rumble on a game controller or the rumble strip on the highway when you drive on it, and its perfect for snapping her out of her Zone, I've been able to keep her from eating a Huge Frog and Beetle, 2 of her favorite things to hunt! its also been helpful with stopping her from eating random stuff in the yard and harassing her feline brothers. :D

as for our neighbor, her dogs dug another hole into our yard that i luckily found before the chickens, and she confirmed for me that the 4th dog that's been missing was shot by someone who had warned her before that if he saw her dogs on his property again he would do just that, its sad, he was a good boy, a bit board and that made him a bit aggressive, but he loved attention <3 poor baby i hope he didnt suffer ;-;

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
Aww crap! And yes I for one was wondering what was going on?? I was not much help because I got stumped by your situation? As your dog was not really issue in her behaviour (although her cat thing could be better) but your"issue," with her (the chickens) was caused by your neighbor!

And apparently her lack of "control," is getting her dog's killed on the other side of the fence with neighbors much less patient than you? That's a guess on my part but is that what happened?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aww crap! And yes I for one was wondering what was going on?? I was not much help because I got stumped by your situation? As your dog was not really issue in her behaviour (although her cat thing could be better) but your"issue," with her (the chickens) was caused by your neighbor!

And apparently her lack of "control," is getting her dog's killed on the other side of the fence with neighbors much less patient than you? That's a guess on my part but is that what happened?
this guy probably lives a little ways away between here and her moms place as when thy get out that's normally where they go, but first of all this is FL the people are naturally insane... and just going one road back from us you start running into the meth heads... I'm sure one of them was the one that did it.
as far as the cats go i only correct her if she gets obnoxious with them(especially my older boy, hes 15 and was declawed when i was a kid so he cant deal with her like the younger one can) but the younger boy will literally go to the door and growl at her while shes napping or chewing her bones and get her attention cause he knows he can get her in trouble XD he's a brat and i let her give him what he asked for before i make her leave him alone, but hes such a scardy cat that im glad he stands up to her at all XD

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
LOL yeah I seen that also! Some cat's can be A-Hole's! I can train dog's cat's are cat's and some of them can be A-Hole's! :)

But what is the deal with the chicken's? And for me your chicken question was kinda complex? Cat's and Military Working Dogs, Seeing Eye Dogs, Bomb Seeking Dog's etc. Cat's are a given. Those guy's "Proof" those dogs for that? But "Chicken's" I don't know?

That one is a bit of a stomper for me? It's hard as I see it to "proof," a dog for an animal that they don't live with?? But most likely a "Rock Solid Recall," would work? But I have no idea?

My Bella Pit/Boxer sigh is not best trained dog. I had issues with the not a puppy stage. But even still if crap goes down, instead of recalling her I can shout "Stay!" And she will do that! Not as good as "my other dog's," but hey whatever works!

But A-Holes shooting dog's?? Is a whole nother level of crazy? I have not dealt with that before? You don't want your dog's going into your neighbor's yard and going beyond there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts