Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cato has been diagnosed with Kennel cough, and he has it for about 6 weeks now, and he still coughs. He was on 3 different kinds of antibiotics and I just gave up on them, and started Herbal remedies. I am giving him Petalive KC defense. Anyways... He gave the cough to Tiki, and currently I am giving them both Petalive KC defense and herbal supplements to boost their immune systems. The thing that is scaring me is that my 6 year old cat started coughing today. They don't share anything, and I thought Kennel cough can not spread from dogs to cats. The werid thing is that I had the same symptoms for about a week now. Is it some kind of bacteria that is causing a upper respiratory infection to all of us?! The animals just coughs when they are excited, and when they wake up after sleeping. They play and eat like normal. Sharon please help.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Lette had kennel cough when I brought her home the first few nights...called the vet...he said give her 2 tbspns of robitussm (or however its spelled) it cleared her up in about a week...just a thought!!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
awww poor Cato and Tiki, I hope they feel better soon, I don't really have any advice as far as treating KC, I've never had any of my dogs catch it, but I hear it can be pretty hard on them....Gaby sends boxer love and healing vibes for them :D, I forgot to add that there is a vaccine for KC if there are future concerns for catching it again..

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
LETTE\";p=\"81167 said:
Lette had kennel cough when I brought her home the first few nights...called the vet...he said give her 2 tbspns of robitussm (or however its spelled) it cleared her up in about a week...just a thought!!!
i agree this is the best thing to use to help the cough until it can run its course....be careful on your kitty though because if its nose gets stopped up it wont eat anymore...and you cant give any of the home OTC med's to a cat....so for that one if it gets worse I would get some amoxi drops or something from your vet

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to the vet with both dogs, and they put both of them on Doxycycline 100 mg for 10 days. Has anyone else heard of this antibiotics? Is it good for Kennel cough? She also gave me some cough medication to use when the coughs get bad at night. Thank you sharon. I will monitor my cat closely.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
We put the foster pup we have on Doxy three weeks ago.  He'd had a hacking, horrible cough.  He'd had kennel cough, etc., etc. after being brought in two months ago.  Treated for the Kennel cough.  His chest sounded clear when he was seen again.  It was bronchitis, and the coughing stopped totally second day into the Doxy.  Little guy finally got a night's sleep. He had to be over 6 months at least before they'd use Doxy on him.

Ann WI

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Doxy is a good broad spectrum antibiotic...used for tough bacterial infections in the respiratory tract (as well as in skin infections).
This should clear up any infection...it's a pretty good one. I hope it helps! Just make sure he's drinking lots of water.
Just as a side note this is one antibiotic that shouldn't be kept around if for some reason you don't use it all...this drug (as well as
tetracycline) actually becomes toxic after the drugs expiry date.
Hope this information was of some help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For over 4 weeks--just after christmas to about 2 weeks ago--both of my pups Eli 18 mths and Ava who was just a puppy (now four months) had a cough i could not get rid of...then I got it!!! they were put on 2 diff antibiotics....ava was on amoxicillin for 20 days (one refill) and Eli was put on Amox for 10 days THEN eli was on ciprofloxacin and ava was on cephalexon....it did not get rid of it...finally about 2 weeks ago it ended!! i was stressed beyond belief and I put myself on mucinex dm...that helped me...

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Not to cause a panic, but a friend of mine just lost her 2-year-old bitch to what they thought was a long-running bout of kennel cough; it turned out to be blastomycosis, a fungal infection that gets into the lungs.  I've heard of a few more cases recently, as well (those dogs are currently undergoing treatment), in areas where it's not been seen much before, which is why the caution.  It's not contagious, but it's in the environment, so if one dog gets it others in the household (of many species) are potentially at risk, too.  Blastomycosis is not very common in my area, so the vets weren't looking for it; if you're in an area where it's more common, they may have already considered it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Jenny C. I am glad your fight and stress is over. It is so annoying and stressful :( The damn thing just won't go away!!! I am going to go get some Mucinex tomorrow. It is very frustrating waking up in the middle of the night coughing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It definitley is VERY stressful...especially since ava came down with the cough about 2 weeks after I got her..i knew it couldn't be kennel cough because i'm very close with the breeder...these puppies lived in a whelping box in her kitchen under a heat lamp as babies and then in the house until i got her...none of her dogs had the kennel cough...but since i had just gotten her and it took over 4 weeks to get her healthy...i was so stressed because i wondered if i would ever have a healthy puppy...she is doing great now though!!

Make sure to get the MUCINEX DM that is the one for cough...it works great....

G

·
0 Posts
Seven had KC for about 6 weeks too. It was very nerving, I thought it wouldnt go away. He was on meds for about 2 weeks, then read (from another boxer forum) that the meds do nothing for KC except help prevent a secondary infection. So why poison with meds when I didnt have to. I gave him a tsp of pure honey for the cough, it helped a bit. I also gave him 500mg of Ester-C to boost his immune system. KC just has to run its course. Sev would cough too when he got excited and in the morning. Be patient!, I know the cough sounds horrid! Hope your baby is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just read about someone giving their dog honey to calm a cough, and it worked!  The Whole Dog Journal had an article about honey and dogs http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues ... 967-1.html in which Juliette de Bairacli Levy says she believes dogs derive the same health benefits from it as humans.

Honey has anti-viral and anti-microbial properties -- it works great for my kids when they get sick, we mix it in chamomile tea with a little lemon, and it tastes great.  Do you think your dog would try honey?

·
Registered
319 Posts
KENNEL COUGH (Bordetella)

Of the 5 dogs we've owned in the last 15 years, the only ones who came down with kennel cough were the 3 who WERE vaccinated against it.  They were vaccinated with the bordetella vaccine before they were boarded and they caught kennel cough every time -- I began to wonder if the vaccine was giving it to them.  The next 2 we decided not to vaccinate against kennel cough (why bother if they were going to get it anyway) and despite several 2 week stays at boarding kennels, they never came down with it.

Hamish once had a nasty case and would bring up phlegm and hack horribly.  His vet at the time didn't put him on meds for some reason, and it took about 3 weeks to settle down.

Perhaps the information below on Kennel Cough (Bordetella) and the vaccine will help.

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST THIS MESSAGE.

Regarding the Bordetella (Kennel Cough) vaccine, on Page 2 of the American Animal Hospital Association's 2003 Canine Vaccine Guidelines and Recommendations, it states that "Optional or 'noncore' vaccines are those that the committee believe should be considered only in special circumstances because their use is more dependent  on the exposure risk of the individual animal.  Issues of geographic distribution and lifestyle should be considered before administering these vaccines.  In addition, the diseases involved are generally self-limiting or respond readily to treatment.  The committee believes this group of vaccines comprises distemper-meases virus (D-MV), canine parainfluenza virus (CPIV), Leptospira spp., Bordetella bronchispetica, and Borrelia burdorferi."

Further, on Page 14 of the AAHA Guidelines, it states:  [b:2njchtgc]"[i:2njchtgc]Bordetella bronchiseptica (B. bronchiseptica): Bordetella bronchiseptica is another cause of the

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you haven't already, please take Cato back to your vet and have a chest x-ray, just to make sure it isn't anything more serious.  I don't want to alarm you, but my Maggie May had a cough that wouldn't go away and we went through the same thing.  She was put on antibiotics, which did nothing.  Finally, my vet decided a chest x-ray was necessary and we found out that her heart was enlarged and there was fluid in her lungs.

There are a lot of heart-related issues that present themselves in this type of coughing.  The sooner treatment is started, the better the prognosis.

I also noticed that my cats and Boston Terrier started to imitate Maggie's cough, even though there was nothing contagious about it.  I don't know why this is, but they do tend to mimic each other, maybe for attention.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts