Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Logan is taking a couple steps backwards. I'm not sure if it is because we have started to play outside and he has lost the concept of outside is for the "bathroom" but today my husband is going out of his mind. He did this to me last night too. It doesn't matter how long you stay out, we've been out for 20-40mins at a time and he comes in the house and is releasing himself. It's bothersom, not to mention the whole house is sick right now and maybe our patience is a little short. We got sick over the weekend and Logan started sneezing coughing on Tuesday with green discharge coming from the nose. We brought him to the vet right away on Tuesday. He has an upper respiratory infection and is on anitbiotics.

Sorry for the two topics in one, I don't know if these could be related or not but your advise is appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
Jetta just did that to me!  She has been peeing and pooping outside within moments...and now that I let her play outside a bit, we were outside for 20-30 minutes 15 minutes after eating and she wouldn't go...she would chase leaves, tug on bushes, pounce on trees, but not go potty...not sure why this is happening...we tell her "let's go potty" everytime we go...and one time she even went to the door herself to be let out...but this last time, she totally refused!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm starting training next weekend and what she suggested is to always have him on a leash which I'm now going to do. I think Lillizmom suggested to me too in the past to not play outside but we are in MA and I have been trying to enjoy the weather while it lasts. Maybe it is that we played outside and now that is all they want to do.

Glad to hear it's not just him. Good luck to you as I know this is a trying time and we will be rewarded with excellent well trained dogs some day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've found that it helps to have a trigger word to say whenever you take the dog out to go. This reminds them what their out to do and generally cuts down on the about of time your out with the dog waiting for him/her to take a leak.

They way we trained Jasper is whenever we'd take him out we'd say "Hurry up." If he didn't go within 5 minutes we'd go back inside and try again within 10minutes again instructing him to "hurry up". When he finally goes, praise him generously.

After about a month of doing this consistently we've pretty much got him to go on command.

Dunno what to say about your other problem though, poor thing.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents... We have a potty lead (regular 6') and a couple play leads ( one 16' one 50') When using the 6' lead we wouldn't play -  just a few minutes to take care of business then back inside. It took awhile but he caught on to the difference. We also use different doors for "ride" and "out" and yes, he SURE knows the difference. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts