Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to handle stubbornness in a boxer potty training. Any suggestions? Patience yes. How long does it take?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I didn't trust that my dog was fully potty trained until after a year (though he was) but "trust" is the word here. He actually was potty trained by the time he 12-13 weeks or I should say I was trained.
We use the crate, 42" midwest with a divider, which was placed to just give him enough room to stand up turn and lie down, and was adjusted as he grew.
From day 1 the puppy spent most of his time in the crate and we covered the crate (lied a big blanket over it, (but be prepared he pulled it in with him )when it was time for him to sleep. Our basic schedule and we were quite strict with it. 6 am pup was carried out on leash to his area to potty and given the command potty, while he did we started calmly saying good potty good potty, then got all excited when he finish. We wound bring him in and feed him and have water out. Then we would play with him and when we were finished took him out again to potty. we always gave him a few minutes when we came him to cuddle with him then placed him back in his crate and went about our business. Sometimes he would cry a little but we just ignored him. An hour later we repeated the process, and this went on throughout the day. We did of course take him out to sit on our lap from time to time but before we would put him on floor we always did the potty routine. He ate lunch at 12, and dinner at 6. The same routine always. As we learned that he didn't mess in his crate, we gave it hour and half then up to 2 hours. As he got older 3 hours. Same routine. He had only 3 accidents ever in the house when we failed to notice he was wandering off. As he got older we found he could comfortably go 4 hours, probably longer. We also gave him more free time outside his crate but not till around 5-6 months. By this time he was comfortable in his crate, had no problem going in or out. Never make a big deal of going in or out of crate, just put him in, take him out when quiet. We made it so he never really knew when it was time to go in or out. He just turned two years old we still follow a routine though now he is in the house with us except if we have to go out for a long period of time or at bedtime. We also gave him little walks during the early time too, areas that we felt safe from germs of other dogs until he was fully vetted. He normally would get two walks am/pm, based on our schedule and we usually walked about 45 min after meals.
I'm by far no expert, have had many dogs and have found crate training to be essential. Your house is not distroyed, puppy doesn't get into dangerous things,you get a break from puppy craziness (and our boy occasionally was, when out playing with us or sitting room watching tv at times would get crazy, didn't want on lap, didn't want toys) we knew he was being a toddler and need nap time in his crate. (never make it seem like a punishment, just take him out to potty then crate. My dog now has no problem with crate, he doesn't carry on in mornings when I come out for my coffee, he waits quietly until I take him out. Sorry this was long. But hope you can find some of it helpful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,

With ours, we do not event wait for signs of needing to potty. We go on schedule.

Crate training, limiting space while not in the crate, and frequent potty trips are the best things. Schedule and routine. Never punishment.

We adopted our puppies a week ago today. As soon as we got home I placed them in the yard and immediately told them to potty and poopy. It was a 30 minute drive so they had to go. Once they squatted I praised them. And then praised and petted them when they finished.

We are an outdoor family, so its not difficult for us, but when they are out of the crate we take them outdoors every 20 to 30 minutes to potty and poopy. (Those are our cue words). "Let's go outside" picked up and taken right to the potty area. Give cue to potty and poopy. Praise. and when its time to go inside we just say, "Let's go inside".

They are crated at night with me getting up in the night to let them out. My older dog usually lets me know he needs out, so I just take the pups as well. Then they get praised and put back in crate.

I do not let them even touch the carpet in the morning. I open the crate, scoop them up when they come to me, and do my cues as explained above.

After we eat, I wait 5-10 minutes and then we are out to use the bathroom again. Then resume the 25-30 minutes schedule (while not in the crate). In the crate they typically are pretty calm and half of the crate is covered in puppy pads.

Also, if we are inside, the boxers are usually right with us. When they start wandering around the house, especially with nose to the floor, I just assume they need to go outside - whether they do or they don't.

I do not distract them outside and I ignore them as much as possible until they squat. Sometimes I have to separate them so they can concentrate on their business. If they come to sit on my feet instead of using the bathroom, I just walk slowly away and say "Go potty". Usually walking will trigger the need to go.

It has been a breeze, so much so that I'm waiting for a big flub up. They now potty and poop within 3-5 minutes of going outside (usually under 3 minutes). One of them even pee'd on the side walk when I was trying to tell his brother to go potty in the grass, and he had already went a minute or so before.

I'm not going to assume that they are potty trained until they are closer to a year or so. If they start telling me when they need out, awesome, but we are still going to stick to a schedule. Not as frequent as they get older, of course, but still regular outside trips. As they get old, we will start to relax on our routine a little. I may be going over board with it, and its been a long time since I had a puppy, but I'd rather spend too much time outside than cleaning up messes in the house. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I didn't trust that my dog was fully potty trained until after a year (though he was) but "trust" is the word here.

He had only 3 accidents ever in the house when we failed to notice he was wandering off.

Never make a big deal of going in or out of crate, just put him in, take him out when quiet. We made it so he never really knew when it was time to go in or out.

(never make it seem like a punishment, just take him out to potty then crate. )
I agree with all of the above. :) I know this thread is about potty training, but I see the two go hand in hand. Making the crate a punishment is the worst thing. I even feed my pups in their crate (on a schedule), I'll toss toys in there. I'll play with them next to the crate and even contort my body so I look like I'm getting in the crate. The crate is left open when they are not in it so they can come and go as they please while they are out of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with all of the above. :) I know this thread is about potty training, but I see the two go hand in hand. Making the crate a punishment is the worst thing. I even feed my pups in their crate (on a schedule), I'll toss toys in there. I'll play with them next to the crate and even contort my body so I look like I'm getting in the crate. The crate is left open when they are not in it so they can come and go as they please while they are out of it.

Haha, I think we were typing our agreements at the same time. I also wanted to mention that when they do have an accident in the house - not in the crate - I consider it more my fault. I wasn't paying attention, wasn't following schedule, etc.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A loud "no" if she went in the house worked well for Willow while training her. She's 14 weeks today and i don't know that I'd consider her fully trained yet. She goes to the door when she needs out but I wouldn't fully trust her if we weren't constantly watching her. She's done extremely well though! I would consider her trained at 12-13 weeks as she's been doing the door thing and no accidents since then (although not many accidents before that either!).

I gave her treats directly after she would pee/poop outside for about the first week, then just lots of praise. I use the same words every time "Willow go pee". I take her out on a leash to the same spot in the yard every time.
She does pee/poop on our small walks around the neighbourhood too.
When she was about 8-10 weeks I took her out every half hour to an hour depending on what she was doing. I took her out after her waking up, after playing, after eating/drinking, and whenever she showed any signs of having to go at all (sniffing around a lot, turning in circles while sniffing, etc).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts