Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Editorial Content
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I’ll be the first to admit that I hug my dog – not frequently (I’m not much of a hugger in general) – but enough to be troubled by the news that hugging your dog actually stresses him out. According to a recent report, hugging your dog may cause your his stress level to increase, and even though you might feel better, your dog certainly doesn’t.

The idea of hugging your dog is widespread, with books such as 'Smooch Your Pooch' gracing many a bookshelf. The book talks about how kids should hug and kiss their dog anytime they please. The book was so popular, while being so incorrect, that the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) released a statement explaining that they strongly advise parents to avoid purchasing the book, as the information it contained could cause children to be bitten by dogs.
Read more about Hugging Your Dog Stresses Him Out at PetGuide.com.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Oh by and large "anything" can be over done. :)

Most likely the author of that sight is a "PO" advocate?? And has some "problem" dog and has no idea what do it about and discovered by "accident??" That hugging said dog puts "Pressure" on it the dog gets "uncomfortable" and may display "inappropriate behavior to escape the "Pressure??" Granted all "speculation" on my part.

I'll take point on "The Place Command and Sit on the Dog" thing but a campaign to get "Boxer" owners to stop hugging there dogs and stuff ...yeah.

But to the point of the article, if one has a poorly trained, badly behaved dog with little respect for an owner, or if one has just gotten a rescue dog ... then yes under those circumstances hugging can be a problem!

Under "those" circumstance "No touch, No Talk, No eye contact, Rules structure and Limitations is what a dog "needs."

I just can't imagine "Boxer" owners with well adjusted (if not full trained Boxers) not hugging them and stuff?? Most likely shows a lack of imagination on my part??

Just my two cents. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Maybe it just depends on the age, mood, etc of the dog just like people. Lucky had his own way of hugging he would press his head into your tummy. And Casper slips right under your arm at night to be cuddled. Highly doubt those are signs of being stressed! I'm sure there's some truth to this article but I'm sure good pet owners know their dogs well enough to tell if certain things are stressing them out or comforting them.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
So what should I do every night when my 75 lb. Boxer crawls into my lap and nudges me until I wrap my arms around him? By the way, I'm being facetious. lol

Yes there are dogs like this out there and those should be given their space. But by and large, most Boxers are not like this. lol

·
Registered
353 Posts
My first boxer Chuvalo was a hugger! He would come looking for them. I would think that contact is good for not only us humans but our furbabies as well? I can understand that reading cues from the dog, either for or against, is the best way to judge if you've got a hugger or more of an aloof dog. Personally, I can't see ANY boxer being standoffish though! I think that's a good reason why we all love them so much. In many ways, they have some pretty "human" traits. They are pleasers, pouters, players and want to do just about anything to get our attention (not always in good ways!) I doubt many can say that their boxer isn't a lover. Also, I would think if cuddle time is part of their daily routine, if anything, it's more calming than stressful. When Chuvalo was just a pup, once he was done his meals, we would have quiet time, which meant no playing, just time to let his meal digest. I would sit on the floor and put him in my lap and just pet him. In no time, he would automatically come to me once he finished eating and crawl onto my lap.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Our boy likes hugs and will still come and stick himself under your arm to lie down then put his head on your lap. Probably some people just grab a dog a squeeze it and not wait till the dog is ready or if he is in the middle of playing or sleeping..then it would stress them but overall our guy loves cuddles, and so do we.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Amor loves her cuddles and kisses. She gets in my lap and sometimes puts her head on my shoulder, sometimes just leans on me, etc. depends on what her mood is. She likes her hugs and only refuses them when I am leaving for work, then I get the cold shoulder. When she is done with her hugs she simply jumps off my lap.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My two have their moments when they want hugs or want to hug (Max more so than Zoe). While Max has been recuperating from surgery the past week and a half there have been quite a few times when Max has snuggled up to me when I'm sitting next to him on the floor. Once the pain meds wore off he freaked out about the cone, so until the stitches come out next Wednesday he's had a second shadow!

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you're sitting or kneeling down our Mya will come over and put her front paws gently on your shoulders and lean in putting he face against your neck and wrap her front legs /paws across the back of your neck ....

Not sure I believe that she doesn't like to be hugged

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
It's not gaining much traction on the Germandshepardforum either. It's just much to broad in scope to be of any value.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree that is ok when the dog comes to you, but we have an issue where a family member approaches our dog, grabbing and holding her, then sometimes picking her up and walking around with her.

We are finding it difficult to stop this behavior and everytime we try to explain they believe that we are just making a fuss and making it up. Any suggestions?

Families eh!

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I agree that is ok when the dog comes to you, but we have an issue where a family member approaches our dog, grabbing and holding her, then sometimes picking her up and walking around with her.

We are finding it difficult to stop this behavior and everytime we try to explain they believe that we are just making a fuss and making it up. Any suggestions?

Families eh!
That's not really a dog problem .. it's a people problem. If you're really concerned you're gonna have to suck it up and get in family's face as it were and just say "NO!"

Weight that against what happens, if your dog decides on his own that "hey ... I don't particular care for this crap! Perhaps I should make my objections know??? A sternly written note should do nicely ... to bad I can't write ... so plan "B" will have to do!"

Don't put your dog in that position ... it's a people problem not a dog problem. :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Agreed, it's a people problem, she doesn't ask to picked up! I have explained it again and hope it sinks in. My boxer is clearly much easier to control than my teenagers!

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Agreed, it's a people problem, she doesn't ask to picked up! I have explained it again and hope it sinks in. My boxer is clearly much easier to control than my teenagers!
Oh ... immediate family?? Well the good news is the bite risk should be pretty low, the bad news ...you can't say "there's the door!" :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, this is my first post. I have a 95 day old classic brindle he weighs 25.6 lbs. his name is beau. I look forward to being a member of the family (forum).

·
Premium Member
4,573 Posts
Well,Valant would do the same if I laid besides him,cram his nose on my chin and lightly press until I rub his belly and chest....that stressed him out alright.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love adores her snuggles and kisses. She gets in my lap and sometimes puts her head on my shoulder, from time to time just inclines toward me, and so forth depends upon on what her temper is. She enjoys her embraces and possibly denies them when I am leaving for work, at that point I get the brush off. cooking games At the point when she is completed with her embraces she totally hops off my lap.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Maybe that article that was referenced earlier had to do with mal adjusted dogs with bad temperaments or dominance issues I can see that happening but not with a dog you personally raised from puppy hood no. My dogs actively seek hugs and they love touching each other as well sleeping together ect. I can't imagine not hugging my dog!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to say that I am not going to quit hugging Luna. She is a very pushy dog and would never allow me to stop. We rescued each other and have been inseparable from day one. Just a note I am not a fan of dogs. Somehow boxers are different and I love them all. I got lucky and never had to train her, she naturally learns what I say.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts