Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are supposed to have our first warm/hottish weekend...the bf is playing in a softball tournament all day Saturday and Tango and I will be hanging out at the games being his number one fan!  Do you think Tango will require suntan lotion ... as I don't anticipate there being a whole lot of shade, and if so, what do I use?  Just like a human version?  What if he licks it?  Yucky...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Suntan lotion is a good Idea I was given a bottle of Dog Suntan lotion from Winston's old family, and he will lick it ... But I think others have posted that they use regular human kind i think like Waterbabies maybe.  I think I am going to switch bcause the dog kind that we have is runnie and I don't like it I want something thicker to get it on him faster, I think.

·
Registered
761 Posts
We use sun block for babies. Hint, get the spray on versus the lotion, it is less greasy and easier to apply (though since you are only doing patches instead of a whole dog that may not be as big an issue).

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thanks!  So I think I read somewhere that it should basically go on the ears and nose ... and as mentioned above, his white patches?  So I don't have to worry about his back?  I dunno what I'm doing!   8O

·
Registered
761 Posts
Not sure, our boy is white so it goes everywhere.....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I did not knwo this... Never thought about it. I guess I only thought that the Whities were the ones at risk   I will have to gt some for Vega. Is there anythign we need to look for as far as avoiding?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found this when I did a goggle:

"Other than limiting sun exposure, you can protect your dog by applying sunblock (SPF 15 or greater) on the small susceptible areas of skin, such as the bridge of the nose, the ear tips and on the fur along the head or back. Be sure he doesn't lick it off! Sunblock is usually not effective on the abdomen. It can rub off easily. So protect this area, or any area of exposed skin, using a t-shirt (children's or adult, depending on the size of your dog) fitted over your dog's body."

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I would use a baby forumla of sunblock as they usually don't have all the chemicals that an adult forumla would have. (due to the fact that babies have more sensitive/thiner skin and also tend to put their hands and feet in their mouths.)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Waterbabies is real good to use...You might also want to take a small towel that you can get wet for Tango to lay on if it gets too warm..Those cooling bandanas and such are really nice :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I'm with Samsonsmom.....I use Waterbabies SPF 30 ALL OVER Lola!  :lol:   But especially on her head, ears and nose!  I'd be sure to put it on Tango's face.  Don't think it harmful if licked.  I've used spray and lotion, so whatever you're more comfortable with.  Lotion can me messy...I try to brush Lola first then put it on.  

Have fun at the games!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Tink and Madster both need sunscreen like crazy. Maddy gets major burn on her nose and ears. So we put a little bit of childrens sun screen. Works wonders.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
we use it all over Chance....and we use waterbabies since he likes to take a dip in the pool once in awhile with daddy's help   lol...hates to get in but once he is in he loves to swim around and we have to make him get out...lol

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
ditto we use waterbabies too..and its a spray cream she doesnt lick it....and it stays...we are out at the beach surfing for sometimes 6-7 hours,,apply usually about 3 times..just to make sure b/c the reflection off the water is super strong....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts