Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boot is a 6 month old male neutered Boxer. We have had him since he was 7 weeks old and he has always been the best behaved little pup. He has always seemed like a happy healthy puppy at our house, but he is much more sheltered here. He stays in our fenced in back yard and comes inside when we are home and sleeps in our bedroom every night. He always seemed content and happy with this.
However, he, my husband, and I went to our home town in Alabama for 10 days at Christmas. Our home town is much more rural than where we live and no one really keeps their dogs penned or fenced up there. So we let Boot run free with my sister's 2 dogs. This is also the first time since that he has been around other dogs much. And Boot was in dog heaven! He ran and played and had a blast with my sister's dogs and the neighbor's dog.
Since we got home from Bama about 2 weeks ago, he has torn down all the lattice work under the back porch and escaped the back yard several times. We even put plywood up to hold him in until we could get it fixed and he literally chewed through the wood and escaped again. He also has become extremely whiney. If I don't let him up on the couch when we are sitting on it, he will sit there and just cry no matter what I do. I've bought him tons of new chew toys and bones thinking maybe he's just gotten bored, but that hasn't helped at all. Last night he even pooped in the house for the first time since he was about 3 months old, he used to go to the door to let us know when he needed to go out, but last night he just went straight upstairs and pooped. He used to always listen and obey both me and my husband, but since our trip he has started ignoring us 90% of the time. He is really acting like a spoiled brat rather than the great behaved dog he was a few weeks ago.
What do I need to do??

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
:) Welcome to "adolescence" :lol:

Somewhere between the age of 6-9 months your boxer will all of a sudden forget everything he's learned. It is a stage they all seem to go through.

He does sound a bit bored though with chewing through the fence and all. How much exercise does he get, and I don't mean just running around his own yard?
This is a good time to freshen up on obedience training either by youself or in a class.
NILIF (google nothing in life is free) will also offer some structure and help you regain control.
Also need to take him for long walks and maybe arrange some doggie playdates.

Any friends or neighbors with dogs that you can invite over for some playtime?

:)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I agree with Lynne, it sounds like Boot needs more exercise. Most dogs do best if their exercise occurs first thing in the morning so they're tired and calm while you're gone all day. Then another walk when you get home from work to burn off the excited energy. A backyard isn't a subsitution for walks and exercise, it's basically just a big grassy cage. Dogs get so much mental stimulation from walks and exploring new places and meeting new people and dogs, Boot may have gotten a taste for this stimulation when you were at your sister's place and now he wants it again.

I just realized that I'm assuming he doesn't get walked that much, so if my assumption is wrong ease ignore my post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I walk him 4 days a week on my off days, but that's all. And we're military so I don't really know anyone here yet and there are no dog parks.
I'm going to look in to finding a trainer. I hadn't thought of that. And he is my first Boxer, and that's the first time I've been told about their 6-9 months stage, good to know!:)

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
I think Boot just loved the freedom he had in Alabama and he is wondering what happened because he had a great time there. He is going thru a stage right now and is acting up! He is just the age for it. He'll settle down again I'm sure. Meantime buckle your seatbelts, you're in for some turbulence. Best of luck to you...

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
lol, sound like some teenagers I have at home,, It is a stage and like every one else has said he is very bored. If you could even find another boxer for him to run around with that would be the best because they play differently together than they do with other dogs, they bounce around each other and it almost looks like a dance. It is the cutest thing to see. Try and get some play dates going, he will be happier for it and will readjust to life at home.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I walk him 4 days a week on my off days, but that's all. And we're military so I don't really know anyone here yet and there are no dog parks.
I'm going to look in to finding a trainer. I hadn't thought of that. And he is my first Boxer, and that's the first time I've been told about their 6-9 months stage, good to know!:)
You'll probably notice a big difference in his behavior if he's walked twice a day every day. Boxers are a very high energy breed and they tend to get themselves into trouble if they don't get to burn off all their energy.

·
Registered
670 Posts
:) Welcome to "adolescence" :lol:

Somewhere between the age of 6-9 months your boxer will all of a sudden forget everything he's learned. It is a stage they all seem to go through.

He does sound a bit bored though with chewing through the fence and all. How much exercise does he get, and I don't mean just running around his own yard?
This is a good time to freshen up on obedience training either by youself or in a class.
NILIF (google nothing in life is free) will also offer some structure and help you regain control.
Also need to take him for long walks and maybe arrange some doggie playdates.

Any friends or neighbors with dogs that you can invite over for some playtime?

:)
lol I was thinking the same thing :rock:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've mentioned this before, a portable kennel run 6 ft high with a clamped panel or roof on top maybe 4 by 12 ft and important 9 gauge. This usually can be made by any chain link fence company. Now accompanied with a tough rubber mat 5 by 13 ft that can be ordered and delivered.

Above is a great tool for people on the move as when moving the kennel is taken apart, rubber mat rolled up and all is taken to new place and you have at the very least a kennel run that can't be destroyed by your dog and he cannot escape. I'm just sayin'...

Bad news it will probably cost close to 1000.00 (just a guesstimate) but it will last for many years and moves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts