Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday, my 4 year old male boxer, Rocky, woke me up a few minutes before my alarm clock usually goes off. He sleeps in my room and it was about 5 a.m. when I woke up to find him suddenly run through my sliding door (it's got a tear in the middle so e sometimes walks through) into my broters and I heard him licking something. At first I just resorted to calling him back when I saw him standing by the main door that exits my brother's room and into the hallway and he wouldn't come. He was simply standing there, his head relatively level with his spine so I leaned over to see why he wouldn't come. After a few seconds he came in, but he lower his head and as soon as I realized he was about to vomit, I jumped out of bed and grabbed his collar before taking him downstairs to be let out into the backyard. As I finally got the door open, I felt him lowering and let go and looked back to see him collapse onto the floor. I tried to get him up but he wouldn't move. He was shaking slightly and his eyes seemed somewhat listless (can't quite explain), so I called my mom and she came to find us. So I explained what had happened upstairs and what happened when I tried to take him out and she brought up the idea that he might have eaten something bad. Since he had been licking something in my bro's room I checked their first to find he'd been licking up some vomit he'd probably just thrown up. I check my room, his bed, and his toys but saw nothing but a bit more vomit under my bed (likely from when I grabbed his collar earlier and he was vomiting). I went back downstairs to find my dad now in the kitchen with Rocky and my mom. Somehow they'd gotten him up, but he was still holding his head low and looked pretty miserable. Later, from what my mom told me when I called her before school started, he threw up a bit more within the two-hour time frame. He's been ok since, but I'm worried. My parents wont take him to the vet as often as they should and have yet to do so since the incident. Anyone know what could have caused the sudden illness?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
There are so many things it is hard to know where to start but....the first is if he is on a heartworm preventative and if not if you know if he is negative.  Heartworms can cause an episode like you are saying.  Also a seziure and also a stroke of some sort. There can also be issues with the kidney and liver that can cause issues with vomiting and a collapse type activity.  

Is he still eating and drinking and active and was he before this happened or was he feeling kind of sluggish for a few days before?

My first thought is to start with the heartworm status and go from there.....If they dont want to take him to the vet then at least write down what day and time it happened and keep a log to see if and how long it is before it happens again.  I suggest having him checked if you are unsure of his health....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sharonL\";p=\"65257 said:
There are so many things it is hard to know where to start but....the first is if he is on a heartworm preventative and if not if you know if he is negative.  Heartworms can cause an episode like you are saying.  Also a seziure and also a stroke of some sort. There can also be issues with the kidney and liver that can cause issues with vomiting and a collapse type activity.  

Is he still eating and drinking and active and was he before this happened or was he feeling kind of sluggish for a few days before?

My first thought is to start with the heartworm status and go from there.....If they dont want to take him to the vet then at least write down what day and time it happened and keep a log to see if and how long it is before it happens again.  I suggest having him checked if you are unsure of his health....
Yes he's acting completely normal now, like the regular boxer with plenty of energy and a healthy appetite. The day and night before he was also ok so this came suddenly and almost out of nowhere.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
If your parents cant or wont go to the vet now then sometimes it can be an isolated incident so I would keep a log of when and where and see if it happens again.....

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
He may be ok now, but sometthing IMO had to set him off.  I would feel much better wih blood work to make sure nothing serious is going on inside that you cannot see now.  Glad he is feeling better and hope you find things out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I've been pestering my parents for awhile now (I'd been talking about taking him to the vet more often before anyway) to take him to the vet. I just hope my mom can do something, my dad is really stubborn with these things.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
How old are you?  How old are your parents?
I ask because it has been my experience that people of a certain age (usually older) are not as concerned with pet health as they should be.
Good luck with Rocky.  I hope it's nothing serious!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I sure hope your parents change their minds and get Rocky to the vet for a checkup.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
To me, what you are describing sounds just like Rocky had a seizure. It very well may not have been, but when my previous boxer was about to have a seizure, I would know just before it was going to happen because he would start drooling, licking and smacking his lips.  If your parents are dead set against bringing Rocky in for a check, I would do as Sharon suggested and start keeping a log of when this happens, so that when you are finally able to take Rocky in to the vet you will have some info for them.  
Vet checks are so important, I really hope you find the means to get Rocky checked. If cost is a factor, if left untreated it may actually end up costing a lot more if you wait.
Good luck to you and Rocky, hopefully this was an isolated incident, but you really should get him to the vet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zhanna\";p=\"65293 said:
How old are you?  How old are your parents?
I ask because it has been my experience that people of a certain age (usually older) are not as concerned with pet health as they should be.
Good luck with Rocky.  I hope it's nothing serious!
I'm 16 and my parents are 40+. My mom is trying to help, but she can't do too much thanks to her disability and my dad isn't that interested in taking him.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Maybe you can tell them the info you got on here?  SharonL^^^ is a vet.
Poor baby, it's scary isn't it?  I just can't imagine someone not taking care of their dogs! :?  :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts