Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doses anyone know what would cause sudden lameness in one leg? Our boxer is 8 and had TPLO done on the opposite leg 2 years ago. A few days ago his fixed leg was sore and he was put on meloxicam. Then suddenly his right leg went lame with a fever of 104. Tons of tests done by the vet and nothing really out of the ordinary. He is home now and is on prednisone and gabapentin as she thinks it may be neurological and immune related arthritis. He is not using his right leg at all....I hate seeing him like this but don’t understand the reason he’s so lame. Our vet is even stumped... we are waiting for Lyme tests to come back as well.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Does you dog have any swelling in his joints ?

I had a 10 month old Dutch Shepard who went into his kennel just fine and came out the next morning with a bad back leg and some swelling. Later that same day the other leg went bad so I went straight to the emergency vet. One day later the swelling got worse and affected the front legs too plus he also had a fever.
The vets had 2 possible diagnosis, either immune mediated arthritis which is a problem with the immune system or septic arthritis which is when bacteria gets into the blood stream and attacks the joints.
They had to draw fluid from the joints to test because the treatments were different and the wrong one would kill him.
Turns out it was the septic arthritis which was the really bad one, 3 days after it started my 10 month old puppy was dead as it has spread to his heart.

Both of these problems are extremely severe but the Immune mediated arthritis has a much higher survival rate although treatment is very expensive.

I truly hope your dog doesn't have either of these but please do any testing your vet suggests ASAP as time is everything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dog has been at the vet for 2 days just got home this morning. She’s done xrays, blood, tested for Lyme and everything looks good besides spondylosis of the spine. In her 40 years she is stumped as to what it is..she wasn’t able to do the joint tap to test his fluid as she doesn’t think the labs open with all this covid stuff. She didn’t mention anything about septic arthritis but his fever came down and has been down for the 2 days now...his spirits are up we just don’t understand why he suddenly isn’t walking on the one leg 😔

1 - 3 of 3 Posts