Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Willow has always been ok with thunderstorms, fireworks, new places/people, etc. I've noticed recently that she's become afraid of a lot of things. She turned 2 at the end of June and there were fireworks on July 1st for Canada Day. She was shaking and panting at the sound of them. She was also terrified of the vet's office the other day (we've been there once before, switched vets a few months ago) and last time she was fine, butt wiggling and all. This time, tail was down and she was very nervous.
Nothing has changed other than her age...does this generally happen? Is this a fear stage or is she too old for that now?
We've lived in a construction zone since we got her (new subdivision, houses constantly being built) so she was used to all of the loud construction sounds. Now she's scared of them!

Not sure what to do for her?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
First step is always going to be take a "Deep Breath and Relax." You can't help her at all if your both freaked out???

Dogs look to their leader for guidance, if Mom or Dad is good with this, then so am I. But to answer you question directly ... no at two years old ... this would not be typical??

So something has happened ... but I don't know what?? As to what to do "now??" I would do uh what I always do, regardless of a dog's issues or lack thereof. Walk them, Train Place and Do Sit on the Dog.

They are not exciting or dynamic ... but if you sent her away to a "Competent Qualified Board and Train, ... those are the things they would do. If you have questions on those just ask. And sorry your having issues. :(

·
Registered
189 Posts
So Willow has always been ok with thunderstorms, fireworks, new places/people, etc. I've noticed recently that she's become afraid of a lot of things. She turned 2 at the end of June and there were fireworks on July 1st for Canada Day. She was shaking and panting at the sound of them. She was also terrified of the vet's office the other day (we've been there once before, switched vets a few months ago) and last time she was fine, butt wiggling and all. This time, tail was down and she was very nervous.
Nothing has changed other than her age...does this generally happen? Is this a fear stage or is she too old for that now?
We've lived in a construction zone since we got her (new subdivision, houses constantly being built) so she was used to all of the loud construction sounds. Now she's scared of them!

Not sure what to do for her?
Could be a fear period.. it wouldn't be typical but the second fear period can happen as late a 2.

How is her obedience in general?
What would she do if you played firework sounds inside the house?
How is she out in public in general? Meaning is she fine and the petstore and crazy at vet?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts