Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Emmett is about 7.5 months old. He is suddenly a little skittish and shy around strangers.

My question - how should I keep him get through this phase? He went to puppy boarding with my vet and was exposed to many people. They also have farm vets. Lots of hugs and hanging out to meet people. I don't get many visitors. So that doesn't help

On a good note - I learned he is protective of the young ones. Good boy. He was visiting with a friend's grandkids and did not like horsing around. At same party he was protective of me for the same thing. :clap2::cheers:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Emmett is going thru his next stage also called a "fear stage" about this age. Just show him that you protect him and not the other way around. Be patient but show him that you are in charge not him, be kind but you definitely don't want him becoming protective of you. Continue his training.
Of course I'm no expert but have had my share of dogs. :)

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Protective of you ... despite what many seem to believe??? Is not necessarily a good thing. That is pretty much the start of "Resource Guarding" ... it goes down hill from there. :)

A dog that is "insecure" does that, a dog that has total trust in his owner ... does not ... pretty much that simple. I'm gonna say ... this is not typical "Boxer behavior???" I never saw it with my dogs, but I did not send them away for training???

My American Band Dawg ...my Boxer/APBT's and my Boxers ... luv'd "everybody" but they had confidence in "ME." You sent your dog/puppy away and you don't don't really have any idea what they did???

You really have no idea what other people did to train your dog??? Maybe they saw "issues" but said whatever, this has worked before ... it will work with this puppy/dog ... apparently in this case .... not so much???

Liindar51, has identified the problem, "Fear Period" the question is ... what do you do now??? Depending on what you do ... this may or may not be a big deal??? What the vet trainers did was "Socialization" meet and greet strangers ... that "could" work out fine ... depending on the dog??? Some dogs especially, dare I say Boxers ... just luv "Everyone" but some dogs ... not so much?? It's important to recognize the difference between socialization with people (contact) and exposure to people (no touch, no contact.) I'm gonna guess ... that where the "Vet" recommended ... those "trainers" did not under that difference???

See the link in here on "Who Pet's my Puppy or Dog" :
German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Dog, Very Challenging

I never did that with my assorted Boxers APBT/Boxers and Band Dawgs ... but when I I found with myself with a H/A Over Size (116 lbs) Working Line GSD on my hands ... it was time to make "adjustments!" It worked out fine ... I kept people out of his face ... I was "always" the first point contact. He got that ... "people are no big deal." :)

Go for walks with him and teach him to ignore people .... train Place and do Sit on the Dog ... with Sit on the Dog ... you just "Sit" and observe people ... no touch or contact. His job was to just to learn to cope ... with observing people ... there is no requirement to interact with strangers ... details on those can be found here.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

Ask questions and welcome aboard .. sorry it's a bumpy ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts