Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to limit what topics come up in the list of seven "recent topics" that shows up when you first enter the forum area to those topics that are actually Boxer-related?  I ask because over the past couple of weeks I've really been kind of frustrated at having to keep shifting to "next seven" and then the next and the next to get to topics that are really relevant to owning and caring for a Boxer.  There was a period of a few days where the top three topics were stickies relating to contests and searching, so only four slots remained for "current" topics (and frequently those four were pretty "off-topic").

I don't want to be a spoil sport here, I really don't.  I understand that a lot of people form real friendships in forums like this and enjoy the "backyard fence, anything goes" kind of back and forth, but I can't help but feel that if the focus isn't mainly on Boxers that the folks who just happen to wander in here from googling might look at the "recent topics" list and get discouraged.  And yeah, I admit, I was pretty discouraged myself when I asked a pretty basic question but it got lost in the sea of off-topic stuff.  I asked a second time and got a whole two replies.  I was curious after that about other folks who might have posted questions that were unanswered, so I hit the "unanswered posts" button and found one that had been posted on Friday of last week and had yet to be answered by anyone on the following Monday (re peeing in the crate).   This forum has so many generously helpful members that I can only surmise that the post had not been answered simply because it hadn't been seen............ because there were so darned many off-topic and/or stickies on the main (and succeeding) pages that it just got lost.

Respectfully,

·
Registered
977 Posts
I can kind of see where you are coming from but in defence of the forum members not replying to the question about "peeing in the crate" if that person did a quick search before posting (and i'm not having a go - just saying) they would find this question has been asked and answered more than once in the past. Sometimes members just don't want to repeat posts that have been addressed many times already. There are so many knowledgeable and helpful people on this site and i'm sure they wouldn't ignore something important. If someone posts an important question and it gets lost my advice would be check it hasn't been talked about in an old post by doing a search - if not then bump it up. There are so many new members on here that the posts have really multiplied - it's just an unfortunate result of a popular forum. Unless there's a technical way of changing the lay out of the forum page to show more than 7 posts we'll just have to get used to it :)
P.S. I like the anything goes topics - a dose of gossip always makes my day!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Also, why not just click on forums button and scroll down to the topics you are interested in instead of worrying about the top 7 posts. That just shows what is the past 7 topics doesn't mean they will interest you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
caillou\";p=\"94130 said:
if that person did a quick search before posting (and i'm not having a go - just saying) they would find this question has been asked and answered more than once in the past.
Perhaps.  However, I did do a search on my own question that was ignored the first time and answered only twice the second time and the only result that came up from the search was my own first  post.   (And it seemed like a pretty basic question.... "How wide is your doggy door?")

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I suggest what Annette is saying too. Bumping the topic is always great. Don't forget that the actual sections are on the forums link but LOWER... it sometimes is quicker to go down into the topic than to go through the "top 7". I honestly don't think you can mess with the "top 7". I think it's just to show you the recently talked about threads.

There is so much information on Crate Training in the forum. I know the "peeing in the crate" topic has been discussed many times actually. I remember talking about issues with the crate when I joined and several times after that. I saw the post but honestly didn't reply. I meant to go back to it later with some links from other threads but got busy here at home with my daughter. So that I apologize for.

The top topic is a sticky but it's a "please search first - simple how to" which I think is great. The second is a contest that ends tonight... so at least that one won't be up anymore. A lot of people don't think about replying in an old topic... it would bring it up to the "top 7" and the thread would just continue to GROW with information.

I'm sorry you feel this way. Maybe Mark (our Admin) knows something I don't... or Willow and Lisa...?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
AnnArtisan\";p=\"94132 said:
[quote="caillou\";p=\"94130":3qqftsnl]if that person did a quick search before posting (and i'm not having a go - just saying) they would find this question has been asked and answered more than once in the past.
Perhaps.  However, I did do a search on my own question that was ignored the first time and answered only twice the second time and the only result that came up from the search was my own first  post.   (And it seemed like a pretty basic question.... "How wide is your doggy door?")[/quote:3qqftsnl]

There is a huge doggy door topic in here... actually multiple ones. I'd suggest doing an advanced search or looking at the how to search sticky. I personally don't have a doggy door so I couldn't answer the question if I wanted to... sorry.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Britneysdad\";p=\"94131 said:
Also, why not just click on forums button and scroll down to the topics you are interested in instead of worrying about the top 7 posts. That just shows what is the past 7 topics doesn't mean they will interest you.
Because I'm interested in anything that has to do with Boxers specifically and dogs in general.  Thus, I would have to click into more than a dozen topic heads to see what was being talked about regarding the breed (i.e., it would take me ten times as long and get me no better results).  

A case in point, BTW, relates directly to YOU, Britneysdad.  I replied to a post of yours a week or two ago with some specific questions about dogs in Thailand.  And you never answered it,   Perhaps you wouldn't have answered it even if it had been on the main page, but I can't help but believe that the fact that it was about ten pages back by the next day (bumped by mostly non-Boxer/dog stuff) meant you simply never saw it.

And again, my apologies, but I'm interested in Boxers - not their owners (and their personal lives and loves).  But the latter is what seems to dominate the "most recent" posts lately.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mastray\";p=\"94134 said:
[quote="AnnArtisan\";p=\"94132":1b96mys4][quote="caillou\";p=\"94130":1b96mys4]if that person did a quick search before posting (and i'm not having a go - just saying) they would find this question has been asked and answered more than once in the past.
Perhaps.  However, I did do a search on my own question that was ignored the first time and answered only twice the second time and the only result that came up from the search was my own first  post.   (And it seemed like a pretty basic question.... "How wide is your doggy door?")[/quote:1b96mys4]

There is a huge doggy door topic in here... actually multiple ones. I'd suggest doing an advanced search or looking at the how to search sticky. I personally don't have a doggy door so I couldn't answer the question if I wanted to... sorry.[/quote:1b96mys4]

I did that.  Many ways.  (doggy door size width dog pet dimensions etc, etc, etc)  I used AND and NOT and all sorts of things.  Got only my own post back until tonight.  Then I got one other LONG thread that I read all three pages of and didn't see ONE reference to how wide a doggy door an adult Boxer needs.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The top 7 is pretty much going to stay there, I don't use it myself..I go to the forums list and go thru each forum individually..The doggie door question has been answered, I actually did it in each thread that you started Ann. I gave you links, so did others..

Yes sometimes the search engine can be a bit difficult, but I would rather people try to use it, rather than posting the same question a zillion times..At the very least, if you open up a particular forum, ie: general boxer, scroll down that lokoing for answers as well, i've done that too

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
samsonsmom\";p=\"94146 said:
The doggie door question has been answered, I actually did it in each thread that you started Ann. I gave you links, so did others..
You answered me the second time, not both times.  (Well, to be fair, your first reply mentioned that you thought it was "18 inches long".... HUH?  "Long?")  Only one other person answered my question, though it was asked in two different threads.  (And no, I don't count someone who had responded that they had ordered a particular size but not tried it out yet.)  So, on a forum of hundreds of Boxer owners I have one person saying they use a 15" wide doggy door and another saying they use a 10" doggy door.  Geez.  Not exactly a reassuring response when I'm trying to decide on a purchase that will cost me just under three hundred bucks.  

Ack!  This thread is NOT going the way I intended at all.  I am not, not, NOT meaning to denigrate the people who run or frequent this forum.  I'm just saying that I think the forum would be a lot more powerful if it were a bit more focused.  

I'm going to sit down and shut up now.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Most people I know don't use dog doors, so that may be why you haven't had a huge response on that issue....

I'm not nuts about the "recent topics" on the top of every single page, either - I prefer the "view new posts" option, which lists all the new posts since your last visit on the whole page(s), and I really like the "view new responses to your posts" option some forums have, which lists all the updated threads in which you've participated.  But, each forum is different and this one has what it has.  

I'm not sure what you mean, though, about having to click on "a dozen different topic heads" to see what was being talked about.  You can easily see if there are new posts in a sub-forum because the icon is red; if the icon is grey, there are no new posts and so no reason to click.  For me, right now, there are three sub-forums that have Boxer-related new posts (not including the "Show Off" forum, which is of course for photos not for questions/discussions).  There are other forums that have new posts, but they're the "off topic" forums and so if I'm not interested in those discussions, I have no reason to enter those sub-forums.

You may find that the set-up of another site is more user-friendly for you - but I don't know of any forum software that will let you "view new posts" of only certain sub-forums, so I think you're going to have the same issue no matter where you go.  The other forums probably won't limit the view to seven posts, which does save time, but it will still be all new posts, including the off-topic ones.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If you go to the main page of boxerforums.com, theres actually a scrolling ticker that shows the last 20 posts and what the thread subject was.  That might be more your speed.  But otherwise, its a message board....sifting through stuff that interests you is part of the deal.  What is interesting to you is not interesting to somebody else, so you really can't expect the board to be custom fit for you.  All in all, while there are quite a few posts here on a daily basis, there really aren't THAT many new threads.  I can often zip right through the the different categories and even after a full day of not being around, theres usually only a few new threads.  And probably 3/4th's of them are in the "General Boxer forum" so really thats the majority of the reading right there.  Theres another board I frequent that has way more posts and it doesn't have the "recent topics" at all... and while you can hit the "view new posts" it is so overwhelming I find it to be like trying to find a needle in a haystack!   I think we have a good balance here, and people are good about posting non-boxer stuff in the "Anything goes" section so you don't have to sift through them if you don't want to.

I don't know anything about doggie doors.  I don't crate my dog.  I'm no help there. If anything, I think there are way too many "What food should I pick?" or "How much should my boxer weigh?" topics that get in the way of good stuff, when they could easily be searched for and found in recent threads.  But even then, theres usually a few people will try to help out even though they've probably had to respond to that same question a dozen times.  I think the users here are very good about trying to help out.  If you want people to help out in the future, you probably shouldn't attack the value of their responses.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
There's only a couple of us who actually have dog doors. that's probably only myself and willow answered your thread.
about the top 7. they highlight recently answered posts from when you last looked. so if you keep clicking the 'next 7' button until they're no longer highlighted, you'll see everything with a new response to it. It seems pretty helpful in my opinion.

G

·
0 Posts
I think you should start your own boxer forum and set the rules that you would like.  And if people don't answer your questions in a timely manner or not at all, just ban them.

:violin:

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i dont have a doggie door either..

and if i wanted one and needed to figuere out the size i think i might measure the space i have , measure my dogs height and width...look up an average full grown boxers measurements and go to the store and see what they have to offer

·
Registered
422 Posts
[quote="EliasVoorhees\";p=\"94265":23c1jcw0]I think you should start your own boxer forum and set the rules that you would like.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
The other thing is that all full grown boxers are not the same size; someone might have a 50lb boxer and someone else would have a 80lb boxer.  i am with Ky, I would take Kiahs measurements and check at the store; they should have sizes that fit the measurements.

·
Registered
648 Posts
AnnArtisan\";p=\"94140 said:
[quote="Britneysdad\";p=\"94131":1y2vtynt]Also, why not just click on forums button and scroll down to the topics you are interested in instead of worrying about the top 7 posts. That just shows what is the past 7 topics doesn't mean they will interest you.
A case in point, BTW, relates directly to YOU, Britneysdad.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
EliasVoorhees\";p=\"94265 said:
I think you should start your own boxer forum and set the rules that you would like.  And if people don't answer your questions in a timely manner or not at all, just ban them.

:violin:
I think most of us came from that forum originally. :eek:

G

·
0 Posts
I know exactly where you are coming from.  I push refresh pretty often to see if something new has come up.  I just go to the forums main page and go through each section  (my favorite is "show off' because of the pictures   :)  )

i'm sorry for some of the replies that you got about this.  some people need to learn that if you don't have anything nice to say...   don't say anything at all.

wasn't there already a big long post about this?    :roll:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts