Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum and to owning dogs in general. I got my first puppy a few weeks ago! He is a ten week old boxer(ish) pup. I am currently feeding him Acana (I cannot remember the specific one) three times a day; at 5am, 11am and 5pm. Lately he has been puking his food up within hours of eating it. It comes out as full formed kibble pieces. The only time he keeps a meal down is if he stays quiet after eating which is nearly impossible. I have been hand feeding him to insure he eats slowly.
Any suggestions on how I can help him keep his food down would be greatly appreciated. He has a scheduled vet appointment June 11th but I will of course be calling them if he continues to be unable to keep his food down.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sometimes that food is too rich for puppies. I have known people who use that and have had problems with it. Boxers have very sensitive stomachs so eating too fast is not a good thing either. I think a Vet visit is in order there are many causes for this to happen some of them are serious some are not. Maybe a good chicken and rice puppy food. Your Vet will know best avoid any quick food changes though.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Since he is a new pup and your a new owner I would have him throughly checked out by a vet. Usually I take any new pup to a vet within the first 48-72 hours. Undigested food coming could be something simple like stress or eating to fast however if it continues (which it sounds like it has been doing). there could be health issues , parasites, or even that he has an obstruction. I would call the vet you have the appointment with and see if you can get in soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the suggestions! He went to the vet on May 14th for his second round of vaccination and a check up. I will call my vet today and see if she would like me to bring him back in. I called the vet a week before his appointment because he had ate a piece of corn cob which I knew to be very dangerous. She did not recommend bringing him in as he was passing feces normally. I have still been concerned that there could be a piece inside which is why he is puking; a partial obstruction perhaps. I will ask for xrays to make sure this is not the case.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
You also may consider the fact that Acana, is a brand flagged by many vets as containing too many lentils which is having serious effects on dogs. Ask your vet about it, my vet sent out warning emails to all their clients about this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You also may consider the fact that Acana, is a brand flagged by many vets as containing too many lentils which is having serious effects on dogs. Ask your vet about it, my vet sent out warning emails to all their clients about this issue.
I will add that to the list of questions. What brand do you reccomend? I live in a small town with limited availability. I purchased a big bag but very willing to switch for his health.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I will be feeding my puppy Artisan Raw puppy starter until about 5months of age before switching him on to the Artisan Raw Complete.
I really like Artisan Raw because unlike most other commercial raw foods it has multiple sources of protein all mixed in one puck (Beef, chicken, Salmon, eggs) and the pucks are 4oz each which makes it much easier to get the correct amount as puppy grows (unlike the 1lb portions from most other foods)
I will also be adding some sardines and some supplements to each meal

If you prefer a dry kibble instead of raw you could try Origen, it's made by the same Co. as Acana but doesn't have the lentils in the first 10 ingredients which apparently is where dogs are running into trouble with DCM.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I know a boxer puppy who got very sick on Orijen as well its too rich Good old Pro Plan large breed puppy chicken and rice is a pretty good food so is Royal Canin boxer puppy. I would be very concerned about the corn cob issue your pup could have an obstruction so I am surprised the vet didn't want to look further.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
A lot of people and vets are now recommending Purina pro plan . It seems while everyone was on the band wagon of 'grain free' Purina was researching and improving. I fed and still feed my poodle (since we lost boxer) Victor high performance. I will usually add another brand in a small amount to change of the flavors and make it more interesting. Right now its Merrick beed & sweet potato. You can get both from chewy.com and Victor is usually sold in local feed stores as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked at both those foods but sadly chewy is unavailable to me. I know my vet sells Purina pro plan as we discussed it over the phone yesterday. I also looked at raw diets but I don’t have enough knowledge as of now to commit to that. She again told me if he was able to go poop and was not in any obvious discomfort that I should not worry. Yesterday he did not vomit any of his meals back up but I was very careful to keep him calm during and after eating (a hard task 😅). I am very grateful for the advice of all of you and have been reading through these forums long before Ramsey came home!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I wonder also is he eating too fast? They have special dog bowls for fast eaters it has ridges in the bottom so the dog has to take his time eating. Some puppies get into the habit of eating fast when they are with their siblings and competing for the "grub" or nipple maybe something he will outgrow. My male when I got him would eat fast but now he is the slowest eater in the world which isn't a bad thing! Don't discount Purina most Vets in our area do recommend it or Royal Canin, and no they are not paid a kickback to do so. It takes 7 years for a Veterinary nutritionist to go thru school and most of these big companies employ experts on their staffs. I don't know that's true of all other companies and the dog food business has let us down before ie Chinese wheat gluten ect so no food is perfect but look for one with the less recalls and listen to your Vet they will usually give you good advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My family had a beagle when I was younger who ate fast and caused her health problems. I honestly don’t find that he eats abnormally fast but as I’ve come to find out through the forums as well as outside research, boxers are a finicky breed 😅. I’m starting my first year of study as a veterinary technician next year after graduating college this year so I totally agree with following veterinary advice~!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I hope you are very successful in your studies we need more good Vet Techs around! Especially ones that are "Boxer" friendly! Good luck in your studies!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts