Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog Lexie has had some issues lately about foaming at the mouth when we leave. We will come back and she will make a mess. We built this huge cage in the basement that has a bed, water, and food, but she doesn't like it. She get's extremely crazy when we will leave! Before Gretchen died they were both fine so we thought Lexie might want someone else, but she loves the attention so we don't think that is it either. We are thinking we are going to have to put her on some medication. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chase

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Both of mine get a bit like that when we leave, no matter what the temp is inside the house, they act like they are just roasting....Panting, etc...She very well could be missing her best buddy and having a bit of separation anxiety..Dogs grieve like we do and this is her way of showing it...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Poor Lexie  :(  I don't have and advice for you but I'm sure there will be lots of people on here that can offer some suggestions.

·
Registered
780 Posts
When we lost Calli and then two months later Berkeley, Teaki was LOST, she would just sit and look out the window to the field where we burried them.  At the time we had a rescue (Aussie) and she didn't really like the Aussie when we still had Berkeley with us but after Berk died she would lay and play with the Aussie.  You could tell she really missed her buddies and was grieving.  Any time we left she would get very anxious and worried, she would try to run out the door to go with us (she didn't do that when the other two were alive).  I think it will take time and lots of love to make your baby feel secure again.  We actually got a another boxer baby for out Teaki because we knew we wouldn't be keeping the Aussie (she went to a home with another Aussie).  We knew that when the Aussie left Teaki would freak out even more (she had never been an only dog) so we got the boxer puppy (Ziggi) and while we still had the Aussie rescue and that helped so much, Teaki just isn't a dog that likes to be alone and having Ziggi makes a big difference in her.  Now she sits at the window and watches us leave (I think so she knows we are gone and she can get on the couch  8O  .  I am sorry for you loss, we know how hard it is to lose a boxer baby! 8O

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyon for the replies! I thought I replied to this, but it seems that I didn't. Sorry about that!

Chase

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think it also sounds like a grief process.  They seem to adore the company of another dog. Even if they adore all the attention from us too....I would give it a while longer or try other alternatives first.  Giving her medicine for it is just medicating her, it is not really fixing the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts