Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody and their babies! Summer has decided that her mommy should join a breed specific forum dedicated to boxers because this is my  first time mothering one.  I get so overwhelmed sometimes with her because I worry a lot. Not sure about all the little quirks and things that come along with them I constantly keep my eyes peeled for new things with her. We have only had her for 2 and a half months so she really came to us set in her ways, which aren't too bad. I adopted her from Craigs-list with every intention of adopting a boxer (I posted the add for a boxer) and thats exactly what I got. I couldn't be more happy with the way things turned out however she did come to me with a quite bad UTI and no proof of shots. I have already gotten the UTI taken care of and now I'm patiently waiting for the money to take care of her shots. She was also already named which fit her well because we adopted her in the summer.
I hope to speak with all of you at one time or another!
Thanks for this great place! :wink:

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Howdy from Texas and welcome! :D

We "rescued" our little Henry when he was about 12 - 16 weeks old, I can't remember.

Good luck with Summer.  There's lots of good info here.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum...Summer is a lovely girl and as I have rescued 2, I do know some of the "issues" involved especially with an older Boxer.My Samson was 6 when I adopted him, but luckily, healthwise he was pretty good...There is a ton of great information here & I think we are a pretty friendly bunch, just love pics of everyones babies  :) Look forward to hearing more about her..Boxers will change your life  :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already want another one but I want to rescue one. Seems the boxer rescues up here are quite expensive and I just dont have the money to do that nor do I have the money to get one from a breeder. I just dont understand those rescues sometimes. Although I understand that there are things they have to pay for when it comes to the pet. I looked at a boxer rescue near me and they wanted $231 for a rescue. In my opinion that is too expensive and I might as well save it and get a brandy dandy new boxer that will be mine from the beginning.  I love the breed and everything about them but there are times when you have to say enough is enough and move on I suppose. Thank you for the welcomes!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Welcome to you and Summer from Salt Lake City.   Loved your pictures and hope to hear all about your new girl.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum! Summer is so cute, and I love the pic with the angel wings. Can't wait to hear more about her! You will find a wealth of knowledge on these forums  :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Welcome! What a wonderful thing you did in adopting Summer!  We adopted from a boxer rescue too and our baby was just amazing even with all she had been through before we got her.  She looked alot like your Summer!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum and so glad you found Summer.  I adopted Kiah when she was 8.5 months old from our local state Boxer rescue and have found that the rescue does amazing things for the Boxers they rescue.  The amount of money they charge does not cover all of the expenses of getting the dog ready for adoption so they have fund raisers to recover the money.  There are shots, spay or neuter fees, they microchip the dogs and take care of any additional care they need (other surgeries, mange, heartworm treatments, etc).  I thought the $250 I paid more than fair.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome to the forums!!   :)  I am a huge supporter in the rescues and as Barb has already mentioned the adoption fees don't even cover their costs to care for the amount of boxers in foster care. A lot of rescues come in heartworm positive, with mange, or broken bones, so the adoption fees are really nothing when you consider what they are shelling out to get these boxers well and then spayed and neutered on top of the veterinary care. I don't think the $231 that the rescue near you asks for is unreasonable at all.

·
Registered
780 Posts
[quote="SummerLuv\";p=\"39867":1uteon8n]I already want another one but I want to rescue one. Seems the boxer rescues up here are quite expensive and I just dont have the money to do that nor do I have the money to get one from a breeder. I just dont understand those rescues sometimes. Although I understand that there are things they have to pay for when it comes to the pet. I looked at a boxer rescue near me and they wanted $231 for a rescue. In my opinion that is too expensive and I might as well save it and get a brandy dandy new boxer that will be mine from the beginning.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I also know that most rescues get major discounts on vet visits and there are quite a few dogs that come in with nothing wrong. My mom used to work for the human society which in turn worked with the local rescues. The only thing is that its the same fee for EVERY dog and i'm quite positive that not everyone of them needs the same thing. Just a thought I suppose and thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
SummerLuv\";p=\"40046 said:
Well I also know that most rescues get major discounts on vet visits and there are quite a few dogs that come in with nothing wrong.
That is true; Kiah was one of those dogs that needed very little just a vet checkup.  She had been surrendered due to a death in the family and the women was moving out of state.  She was surrendered with her crate, a winter coat, Frontline (6 months supply) and a bunch of her toys.  All of those were given to me when I rescued her and had no idea until they approved the adoption and told me not to buy those things for her.  Another dog came in later that required two surgeries on her eyes and had mange, her vet bills were over $2000.00 even with discounts.  It would be near impossible to have her adopted out if that is what someone had to pay as an adoption fee.  They still come up in the red so have to rely on donations and money that comes in from fund raisers.  I would have paid more if they had asked it.  I am sure that there are some rescues that aren't as good but I believe that most of them are.

·
Registered
780 Posts
SummerLuv\";p=\"40046 said:
Well I also know that most rescues get major discounts on vet visits and there are quite a few dogs that come in with nothing wrong. My mom used to work for the human society which in turn worked with the local rescues. The only thing is that its the same fee for EVERY dog and i'm quite positive that not everyone of them needs the same thing. Just a thought I suppose and thank you for your feedback.
That could be true.  I only know that the ones we worked with didn't get much of a discount with the vets, the vets did let them work on a payment plan so they could make payments when one of the boxers were adopted.  I am sure it is different everywhere!  Either way it is great to have you here and glad Summer was adopted and has a good home!  :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh and I forgot to mention about the adopting from a rescue thing, I am automatically denied because I don't have a fenced in yard... go figure. I really REALLY love my dog and I wish that she could have another liker her to play with. (would let her play around here but... not too thrilled that she has to live in this city in the first place.) I suppose I will have to go the same route as I did the first time but people on that site can be so deceiving to get their way and it really perturbs me. Thank you for the warm welcomes!

·
Registered
496 Posts
She is very cute, I cannot believe that you didn't get a shot record when you adopted her usually they supply that before. Well good luck and welcome I am new myself and am a new boxer owner myself.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No shot record because I didnt get her from HS or a rescue she was given to me through Craigslist.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts