Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. Today I stopped because a boxer was on a busy street following a guy on a bike. He was pretty far ahead, so I didn’t know whether the boxer was a stray. So I turned around and asked the guy if the dog was his. He basically surrendered the dog because he didn’t have the money to care for it. The dog was malnourished, dehydrated and infested with fleas and ticks.

i took it to the vet to get it taken care of. Here’s the rub. I can’t find anyone willing to take her. I’m tempted to bring her home, but I have 3 little dogs and one is aggressive towards bigger dogs. My question is do you think the boxer could attack/kill my dogs. I can work with mine, but since the boxer is bigger, I’m a bit afraid.
I should note the vet said the boxer was probably 10 months to 1 year tops in age.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
This dog being mistreated in the first olace and not trained probably would not make a good housemate for aggressive small dog especially if they are the same sex. Look for a Boxer rescue group in your area they travel probably to get this dog and you did a wonderful thing by stopping and helping

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Well first thank you for saving him! :)

And second although I understand your concern, larger dog's don't automatically kill, small dog's? Although they can/could but for that to happen, it usually takes a very poorly/trained/behaved large dog with a lot of uncontrolled "Prey Drive!" And most dog's are not like that. I would say that even though this Boxers, early life sucked, no doubt ... I don't think he is an "Automatic Dog Killer?"

I could go on but I'd be getting of topic. So first thing and most obviously ... where are you? Just city and state, as there maybe someone on here reasonably local, that would be willing to take him? And failing that ... have you contacted any Boxer Rescues?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Hi everybody. Today I stopped because a boxer was on a busy street following a guy on a bike. He was pretty far ahead, so I didn’t know whether the boxer was a stray. So I turned around and asked the guy if the dog was his. He basically surrendered the dog because he didn’t have the money to care for it. The dog was malnourished, dehydrated and infested with fleas and ticks.

i took it to the vet to get it taken care of. Here’s the rub. I can’t find anyone willing to take her. I’m tempted to bring her home, but I have 3 little dogs and one is aggressive towards bigger dogs. My question is do you think the boxer could attack/kill my dogs. I can work with mine, but since the boxer is bigger, I’m a bit afraid.
I should note the vet said the boxer was probably 10 months to 1 year tops in age.
I wonder why the dog wasn't micro-chipped? Can you ask the veterinarian who saw the dog if he/she knows of a reputable dog rescue. They could be a resource for you by adopting out the dog, or doing a behavior assessment of how social he is with other dogs, and people. Look for Boxer Rescues that are closest to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts