Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has a boxer that likes water?? Do they like the hose? Creeks? Lakes? Ponds? etc. etc..

I want to teach Mia how to swim or atleast like water in the least.. We take Toby swimming all the time because he's the next thing to a labrador! He's a freaking guppy! And I would just like Mia to follow along.. Will her not having a tail effect the way she may possibly swim?

·
Registered
508 Posts
The most Zeus will do is hop in until he cant touch the bottom and will stay out. He tries to chase Dante into the lake when he goes after a ball but wont go far. He likes baths and thats it. But all dogs are different.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ours love the hose, sprinkler and the creek.  They have not been subjected to deep water though so I don't know if our two can swim or not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have a pool and Oscar hates to be splased, we tried to get him to go in the pool but he wont.  He even barks at my blow up lounger then he runs and hides like he is scared of it.  He is not bad at baths once he is in the tub but I dont give him one too often.  I think if you would start them out young they may learn to like it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I haven't tried Gisselle swimming yet, but I don't think she will like it....she hates baths!! lol

·
Registered
905 Posts
Boxers aren't natural water lovers or swimmers, but as with everything else in life, this doesn't hold true for all of them.  Plus, they may change their mind after a while.  Tink used to HATE water, but she loves it now.

Just don't be entirely surprised if she doesn't take to it immediately.  They're not like retrievers or labs in that regard.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Start very slowly and make any water exposure a "fun" thing...Use play toys to give them something to divert their attention..Get in the water with them, that's a big key...

We brought Buck home at 10 wks and we immmeadiately started working with him in the pool..My ex would carry him in(never toss a dog in), walk around in the water, talking to him the whole time..Gradually he would let him go and steer him to the shallow end...Well, Buck took to the water like a fish...That was how he cooled himself off..If anyone was in the pool, there was Buck..I have pictures of him leaping half ways across the pool...Tia, didn't like the pool, but would go thru a sprinkler in a heartbeat. So you just don't know.

Samson has been in a speed boat(didn't like that), a canoe(loved that) and will on occasion wade the creek if we get in with him..He does not like the hose, but will stand very patiently for a bath....Angel, we shall see, this is her first summer with us..

Like Honeyec said, don't be surprised if Mia doesn't take to water right away. The key is not to force the issue..She very well may change her mind...Swimming is an excellent exercise for dogs and it kept Buck in such wonderful shape, plus it kept him cool in the summer

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I was just figuring Toby would help her out a bit with the water thing.. My boyfriend's uncle has a camping/deer spotting/hiking camp type thing and he's got a lake there and I take Toby swimming there all the time.

Toby I didn't really train... Just from the moment we bonded, I couldn't do anything without him being there.. I'll never forget it.. I was on a raft in my boyfriend's other uncle's pool... Just tanning and all of a sudden I heard a splash!! Little Toby at 3 months old jumped in the pool and swam to my raft to be with me! It scared me and I thought he'd drown!!! After that he started following my moms retriever into water and now he just LOVES it and he'll dive off piers like those hunting dogs do! It's a blast!

Now, I just need to by those Air Kong Stick things... I don't like using tennis balls anymore because I'm afraid they will get caught in their throat...

Here comes another $100 bill for water toys!!  :lol:  :wink:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Love all your pics - Voltaire doesn't swim, he paddles. I'm well impressed with the swimming dog pictures - and the lovely places they get to swim in :D
Today we went on a walk and it was hot ( i brought water & bowl with me). Voltaire does not tolerate heat much and when he saw the remains of a big puddle on the dirt track ( ie. 4 inches of mud + 1/2 inch of water) - he just lay down right in it, 8O  turned over to cake both sides good and proper then lay full length spreadeagled to finish the job. He was happy as a pig in muck, and i was speechless. My aunt who was with me couldn't believe it. It was just like seeing a wild pig up at the animal park, i was so embarassed! :oops: Wish i'd had my camera with me :roll:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts