Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today was another beautiful day and the pool heated up quickly (started the solar in March).  The temps were 88 degrees today and the pool was registering at 80!!  So of course we could not walk in that heat so I decided that it was time to introduce the pool.  Both were REALLY apprehensive so I figured I would take baby steps.....one step at a time (well actually two).  I put them both (one at a time of course) on the acapulco step.  We will see how long it takes to teach them both to swim.  With all the noise the neighbors all showed up asking if they could swim as well, and of course we figured the more the merrier, we had the neighbors on one side if us and their Aussie 5, and the other neighbors Aussie 3 and Lab mix 4 months old, with Maggie and Herbie.  It was very entertaining to say the least.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
ahhhhh pooool your so lucky. if they are having a hard time you could always get them life jackets so they can play in the pool without you having to worry.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that is on the list of hunny do's defnitely since we camp by the river alot!!  I wanted to show them that it was ok and where the steps were just incase something happened.....not that they are ever outside by themselves, just more for a piece of mind.....I am a worry wart!!  LOL

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun.  Kiah loves the water but she has never been in water deep enough where she had to swim.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Woo Hoo, first swimming lesson....Definitely the first thing to teach is where the steps are, work on that constantly..I remember when we brought Buck home we started in on that right away..He fell in when he was about 3 mos and freaked us out, his short little legs weren't long enuf to get himself out, but he just sat there and waited on us...2months later he was in and out of the pool like he was born to water :) What you can do once you have them in th epool, lift them in your arms and walk a few feet out, turn back to the steps and kinda puch off to steer them back to the steps, staying right with them the whole time...Dut definitely life jackets would be a good idea as well...We never used one with Buck, he didn't need it and Tia didn't like the pool, she would just put her front feet in to cool off :lol:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Willow thanks for the advice, I have never had to teach dogs how to swim....lol...so this is definitely a new experience  :lol:  I want to make sure that neither of them are afraid b/c we have the pool and we usually camp around the river or other bodies of water.  Not to mention it is so darn hot here in the summer I think they will enjoy it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I can't wait for Cooper to get in the pool.  My wife had him on the steps a few weeks ago, but it was still a tad too cool to go swimming.  She said he seemed to enjoy what he was doing.  My greyhound was actually an excellent swimmer but hated swimming.  My in-laws pool has a ledge to sit on in the deep-end of the pool and he would just chill out there.  Hopefully, Cooper will enjoy swimming a little more.  He's so lean, I'm not too sure how well he's going to float, though.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
we have started dungy in little creeks and he is hilarious.  When he sees something in the water he sticks his whole head in like no big deal, i cant wait to get him in a pool.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
I wish we had a pool, i doubt i'd get Zulu out of it!!! :roll:

Oh well. . . .we'll have to stick to the lake (in the summer of course) :lol:  :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts