Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruce is currently eating Canidae and has been since late/mid December.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Re: Switch back to Puppy Food?

Nope ALS is fine for any time IMO food labeled as "puppy, adult, senior" is pure marketing.  I again IMO think you should choose a food by whats in the bad, not on the label.  Look at the ingredients first.  

I would try a food switch.  Also if he is not gaining much weight then also supplement him with some cottage cheese, an extra meal, etc.   Most of the holistic stuff is All Life Stages.   Just pay attention to fat and protein count:)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

[quote="EliasVoorhees\";p=\"89372":2g9netd7]
Bruce is 7 months old, We weighed him yesterday and he's only 48 pounds.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Canidae does have a lot of filler, Oggie had similiar issues with it.  Unfortunately the richer kibbles seem to just make it worse.  Depends on the dog of course but just keep trying high-grade kibbles.  I agree that "puppy food" is a gimmick, just find a qualtiy all life stages kibble.  

As for the weight.....is he growing (up and long....not just out), does he look healthy, does he seem energized and playful?   I don't think 48 pounds at 7 months is a concern.  Personally I believe slow, gradual growth is ideal for the longterm.  Too many people are in a rush to fill out their pup and I think it's a dangerous road to head down.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

He is growing, but he is very thin.  I posted in the health concern sections that he is pooping over 5 or 6 times a day at times.  There has been times that he will poop 3 or 4 times before noon and he hasn't eaten anything yet.  Thats my concern and he hasn't been gaining much weight so I thought the reason was the food.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Well I agree to switch the food.  Short of a medical issue, it probably just means he's not digesting a lot of the filler (rice, etc).  If he's growing though, I would be certain he's absorbing protein and important nutrients.  Maybe he's more sensitive to grains than other dogs, maybe try a grainless food.  I switched to raw because all the kibbles seemed to go right through Oggie.  Now he barely has to go, which means he's absorbing most of what I give him, but he's not necessarily growing at a faster rate.  He's actually quite scrawny at the moment but he eats like a pig.  Some say actually that a better digestible diet will promote slower growth.  So I wouldn't worry about weight, just try to find a food that seems to agreee with him.

·
Registered
381 Posts

Often when puppies get to around 6-9 months they slow down in their growth and weight gain.  I know Lola shot up to about 48 lbs at probably 6-8 months of age and she is 52 now at 17 months old. She isn't going to be a huge dog and it's not nutritionally related.  I never had pooping problems with Lola on canidae and my neighbor feeds her 2 canidae with no problems.  Canidae is a very good dog food without a lot of fillers.

I think your dog is fine for age & weight.  Many boxers keep filling out until they are two years old.  If your dog keeps gaining 3 lbs a month until it's 1 year old, it'll be 63lbs at one year old.  That is not small.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

[quote="Michelle\";p=\"89391":2jq4r5ag]Tyson had the same exact problem with the pooping.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

Just to clarify, I think Canidae is a great food and that is why I wanted to feed it to Kiah, many of the boxers here do very well on it.  It just wasn't a good choice for Kiah and the allergies she has.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal,

First 5 ingredients in Canidae, not bad at all but does have two grains (filers) but they are not poor quality.   However for those who feed raw or go by the dogs has no need for Carbs in their diet, yes it does have IMO too many grains being 3rd and 4th in the list.   But a great food for dogs not accustomed to a grainless diet:)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

I am feeding Tyson Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy.

http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncdry-lbplr.shtml

He is 9 months and 50.2lbs

He is doing really well on this.  I give him 2 cups in the morning, and 2.5 cups for dinner mixed with plain yogurt.  He has shown 100% improvement.  

I know that each dog will react to certain foods differently.  And what works for one, may not work for the next.  There are many people that have great results with Canidae.  I am just not one of them.

I have tried many other foods, and the Nutro is the ONLY one thus far, that has worked for him.  He is pooping "normal", no more runs!!

·
Registered
381 Posts

Canidae has those first 5 ingredients and then it has chicken fat and herring meal, so it has 2 grains in the first 7 ingredients.

Half of timberwolf organics dog foods have 2 carbs in the first 5 and the other half have 2 in the first 6, and their generally considered one of the best premium foods.  Reason is, without the carbs it gets really hard to make a kibble hold its shape (too much meat and the kibble falls apart when it's dried).

Reality is, IMO, if the dog can't handle canidae, more than likely they'd do better with more carbs.  Put them on Iams or Pro Plan and I bet their stools firm right up.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yesterday we picked up Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken.  Bruce LOVED it.  I have never seen him react to food like this.  We mixed his Canidae with it and he was almost trying to just eat the Soild Gold but he ate it all.  This morning, no eye boogers.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Great news, let us know if it continues to get better.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hoping the Solid Gold does the trick for Bruce...Funny, for some reason I thought he was older than 7 mos..Scratching my head, not sure what I was thinking :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its been almost a week of feeding him Hund-n-Flocken and he loves it.  Its amazing now that he eats in the morning, he never did before.  And he eats the whole bowl at one sitting.  I'm an idiot because I went to the pet store and bought "Hundchen Flocken" instead of "Hund-n-Flocken", but he wolfed it down when I fed it to him regardless.  Hundchen Flocken contains:

Protein, Min 28%
Fat, Min 14%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 410

vs.

Hund-n-Flocken contains:

Protein, Min 22%
Fat, Min 10%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 367

The owner of the Pet Store said at Bruce's age, (7 months) I could feed him this for another month or so.

Any suggestions on which to go with?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
If he is eating it, then its fine, Id continue esp with him in daycare he could use the extra fat and what not.

PS - Must be gaining some muscle, heard he and Kash were being boys in the school yard roughing around on Monday!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is a black lab there that he gets along with real well.  He does come home with bumps and scratches now and again, but he loves it there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts