Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we feed adult chicken soup for the dog lovers soul...both dogs are 6 1/2...thinking maybe the senior would be better..i compared the bags yesterday and only big diff i can see is that senior has glucosamine in it..and on the dog food analysis the senior gets an A+ 115

is it too soon to go to senior? and am i missing something i need to know?

going to buy food today..just wanted input..

also started brewers yeast yesterday...ewww at the poop being the color of the tabs haha

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Re: Switch to Senior? Isis & Onyx are both 6 1/2..should

IMO look at the ingreidents.   As long as the Senior does not have too many grains then that would be ok.  I see more and more senior food having too much grains which can lead to gaining weight.  Since they are older, can be get less active, harder for them to loose weight - IMO.    Other alternative would be to stick with what you have and just supplement:)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Neither of yours are having any issues with arthritis are they Ky? You could go at it a couple different ways, IMO...Switch to the senior, which does have SOME glucosamine, or get them the Glucosamine as a supplemt, like Glyco Flex...I chose to go that route as the Chicken soup does agree with both Samson & Angel and I felt with his arthritis advancing(and Sharon confirmed this), he would get more out of the Glyco & his regular food....

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

do you know the amount of Glyco in the food???  Also what was the protein in it??

Yes I think 6 plus are considered seniors in age but sometimes you have to look at activity too....if they are still active dogs you dont want to cut the protein down to low.....also...you could add glyco tablets and stay on the same food with about the same result if not a little more...depends on the amount of glyco in the food.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

no neither are having any issues..

gluco can never hurt i have been taking it for yrs and i figuered that a build up of it now even in small amounts wouldnt be a bad thing

when i compared the labels yesterday i was doing it quickly b/c hubby was with me and standing there saying hey look at this and look at that.... :roll: they were dam bird toys..why do i care? lol hes the third child im tellin you  :roll:

anyway lol...2 things were differnt that i saw...one was the fat was a little lower not much and something else and i cant remember now lol

ill go look today and go ALONE haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sharon thank you..i will look today..thats exactly what i knew i had to see...these dogs are funny..they are either SUPER lazy or SUPER crazy !!! no middle of the road haha

but for the most part have lost no energy lol..

certainly dont act their age...i think b/c they both were like puppies all over again when we got them..neither ever had the chance to jsut be silly puppies..

ill go today and compare to see what the major diff is..i certainly dont want to lose anything vital

:roll: bought them both a bone yesterday while i was there...was a BAD idea...they FOUGHT !!! was horrble !!!! they have never ever done that..no one was hurt..i think it wwas jsut a loud arguement haha

and Onyx threw it all up... :roll:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

You would get more Glucosamine if you actually did it as a supplement, but yea I need to look at the ingredients as well Ky..I just didn't want to have 3 different kinds of food hanging around here, you know, one for Samson, one for Angel and then another for Flick? OMG

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

Your dogs (size) could easily take a 1000mg of gluco a day...the benefit comes at about 700-750 mg (for dogs not already having issues)......yours are active enough that the slight lower fat would not really be an issue...I would check and if the gluco in the food is less then 750 mg I would stay with the food you feed and suppliment...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

LMAO @ the bird toys..sorry hun I know nothing about senior food but that comment about hubby and the bird toys just cracked me up!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

here's the senior formula:

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 22.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 12.0% Minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Sodium 0.3% Maximum
Zinc 180 mg/kg Minimum
Selenium 0.4% Minimum
Vitamin E 300 IU/kg Minimum
L-Carnitine * 40 mg/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.2% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.3% Minimum
Glucosamine Hydrochloride * 1200 mg/kg Minimum
Chondroitin Sulfate * 400 mg/kg Minimum

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.

here's the adult:

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 24.0% Minimum
Crude Fat 14.0% Minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
Moisture 10.0% Maximum
Sodium 0.3%  Maximum
Zinc 150 mg/kg  Minimum
Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
Vitamin E 300 IU/kg Minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.2% Minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.4% Minimum

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

wow thank you Willow..perfect !!

and LOL about hubby ya had to be there...he was bringing me things..he doesnt even like birds as far as a pet...why in the world are you bringing me bird toys when im standing here reading? do you want me to buy you a dam bird toy?  :roll:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

Actually that senior food looks real good KY! Probably either way would be fine!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Lol at Alvin, I bet Marq would do the same thing Ky....Maybe it's that "southern boy" thing :lol: Yea, the senior does look good Ky, maybe start with that and if it's needed boost up the Glucosamine if you need to

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

yes it really does !! i think thats the way we will go..not easy here with dog food..when i buy them i buy a few bags bc when they are out they are out for months everything like that comes here on boats :roll:
thanks guys :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

bought the senior and its cute lol the pieces of food look like brown cheerios..haha

thanks again guys for the help ..:D

:roll: why did i bring Alvin back with me...whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...we should have been in there 5 minutes..instead it was 45 minutes..this time the country boy was HIGHLY impressed by the fishtank room... 8O has he ever been to these places before? did he jsut recently get his sight back? i dont get it hahaha

NO ALVIN WE ARE NOT GETTING A TANK !!!  :roll: another thing for me to clean been there done that with a 150 gallon back in mass...a pacu, 2 tiger oscars and some plecos...the fish got SUPER ALIEN HUGE !!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts