Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody had any eating problems when switching from any food to Canidae.

Scooby, my rescued 1yr old boxer male isn't eating almost anything from the bowl, just the portion of his current food RC Maxi Boxer 26.
I noticed this only until I reached the 50/50 portion, which since Scooby has a very sensitive stomach was until the 4th day of mixing since the first 3 I served him 25% Canidae 75% RC

I wanted to switch foods since he has loose stools on regular basis, and before blaming his food, I cut off all the rawhide, pork ears, treats with glycerin, gluten, soy and corn; but there was no impact after 1 month off of all this stuff. Since there was no changes I started giving him treats again with the difference that now the only treats are Innova EVO or Karma Organic cookies, Dogswell chicken strips or the occasional PB spoon or skinless apple slices.

After reviewing lots of good comments on this forum, and noticing to many boxer owners are pleased with how their mutts are doing great with it, I started reviewing ingredient lists from many good quality foods available in my area like Innova, Canidae, Wellness, Solid Gold, Nature's Variety, etc.

Finally decided that Canidae was a very good choice, unfortunately I think the size of the kibble it's the reason Scooby is not eating, i noticed also that he spills plenty of the Canidae out of the bowl in search of the big sized kibbles from RC Boxer formula, which in this case I really believe that if it wasn't for the fact that the formula includes beet, cellulose and wheat gluten, I could stick with it since it really helps  the shape and size of the kibble for boxers to grab them and crunch them.

I figured out that Canidae's kibble size is small cause it's an all stage formula, and that Scooby finds this size uncomfortable... I think that cause I tried to figure out if it had anything to do the flavor, I just grabbed a bunch of Canidae kibbles and smash them, made a paste with some chicken broth; did the same with RC and served in different spoons... Scooby smelled curiously both of them, and decided to go first and with more enthusiasm for Canidae...

What is your opinion?? SIZE matters?
Should I wait more time and continue the switch or look for a good quality bigger sized kibble?
Anybody had this problem before???

Thanks a lot for your help...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Re: Switching dilemma... SIZE matters?? RC Maxi Boxer vs Can

I think he will get used to the smaller bites.  Add a bit of warm water to the bottom of the bowl and it will make a gravy, it may make it easier for Scooby to eat it.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

i have both my girls on Nutro Natural all stages that has the smaller kibble, if the kibble is a bigger kibble they actually wont eat it. As for switching we have not had to in a while so i cant help too much here, but i am sure someone here can. good luck :)

·
Registered
236 Posts

I too am in the process of switching to Canidae.  My two love it and don't seem to mind the smaller size.  Whenever I want to jazz up their meals I just add some low fat low sodium chicken broth.   I keep a box in the fridge at all times.  My Dixie has a sensitive stomach and I need to keep her from getting empty.  I feed three times a day and that has worked really well.  One feeding after 7 p.m. so she can last the night without upset.  Stools are fine and no vomiting since starting the switch. Now I'm on 75/25 and will start 100% Canidae in a couple of days.   Good luck with switching to a healthier choice.  

Lucy

Mom to Dixie -  DOB 12/03/99 and Champ - Adopted 08/11/06

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

kiahsmom\";p=\"19149 said:
I think he will get used to the smaller bites.  Add a bit of warm water to the bottom of the bowl and it will make a gravy, it may make it easier for Scooby to eat it.
Thanks kiahsmom for the advice... I'll try that...
However... anybody knows if there is any problem with wetting kibbles with ascorbic acid? I read that it should be avoided to wet dry food that contained citric acid but really don't know if the same applies to ascorbic acid... anybody knows???

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

Scoop\";p=\"19167 said:
anybody knows if there is any problem with wetting kibbles with ascorbic acid? I read that it should be avoided to wet dry food that contained citric acid but really don't know if the same applies to ascorbic acid... anybody knows???
I've never heard or had any problems with wetting foods with ascorbic acid, but because Ascorbic acid is a form of vitamin C, I would be leery due to the risk of bloat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts