Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are switching Blue's food.  We don't feel that the BilJac we are feeding is doing the job, and we found a food with High Protein for active dogs, that Blue loves.  My question is how long should it take to wean him off the BilJac?  Right now he gets 2/3 cup of Dry BilJac, 1/3 cup Nutro Natural Choice, and 1 cup of the refrigerated BilJac.  I know it's going to take time, but when should I increase the Nutro, and in what increments?  I don't want to do it too fast and upset his digestive system...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
it should take a minimum of 3 weeks to transition foods..First week I do 3/4 old, 1/4 new, second week 1/2 & 1/2, third week 1/4 old & 3/4 new...By the second week, when you are doing half & half, any stool issues usually start to appear, generally loose stools, watch and see if Blue adjusts..You can also add a bit of pumpkin if needed...When I tried Blue, I gave it 3 mos and both of mine still had very loose stools, so we gave up on that and went back to Nutro..When I transitioned this time to Chicken Soup, we had no problems at all, so hence my hesitation to find anything else, they are both doing great and it is a good food

·
Registered
220 Posts
Make sure the protien level is less than 26%  too much early in life can cause problem later on.

Scott

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blue is almost a year old, should we wait longer to switch him to this food then?  

He's been on the BilJac since we got him, and it almost seems like he just eats it because he has to!   Since we have added the Nutro to his diet he runs to his food bowl every meal.....  So I know he really likes it, now I'm just worried about the protein....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts