Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home from work this evening and let Lucy out. I noticed immediately that there was swelling below her eyes and it was discolored. She is constantly scratching at it, but other than that her behavior is normal. She has energy and she isn't fussy.

I can't think of anything that she might have eaten this morning, and my roommate only let her out for a minute when she stopped home; it was on a leash!. I can't get her to sit still to get a pic, but I'm headed out to get benadryl. If it's not down in the am, we're going to the vet...

Anyone have any ideas??!!:cry:

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
oooh, that looks uncomfortable. hope she's doing better!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks y'all. The swelling in her face started to go down, but then around midnight last night, she started scratching uncontrollably. I woke up and discovered her face was swollen again and she'd broken out in hives. I gave her more benadryl and a rubbed her down with a cold rag. We made it through the night, and the swelling was nearly gone around her face.

I called the vet and no one took appointments until 10, but they said as long as she was behaving normal and breathing, that a trip to the vet would only be for comfort reasons. They said benadryl 3xs a day up to 70 mg. I gave her a cold bath, and when I left this morning, she had stopped scratching constantly and was chewing on a toy.

The areas around her face that aren't swollen any more have a few small sores, but I can't tell if it's from a bite or from intense scratching.Her poor skin under her fur is streaked red from the scratching. :(

I'm going to stop by the store on my way home from work and get some oatmeal, and we'll have another cold bath with that this evening.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Sounds like she's allergic to something! Try to figure out what it is. I hope she feels better!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
:( Poor girl... She looks just miserable...

The first time Serenity broke out in hives was by far her worst allergic reaction yet. She too kept scratching her face and had open & scabbed sores all over. Our vet gave us a prescription called NPD Opth Ointment. It's actually an eye ointment but she had us use it on her face to help heal up the scabby sores from the hives. She said it was the only thing she could prescribe for her so that if it were to get into her eyes it wouldn't harm her. It worked really well.

I highly recommend doing the oatmeal bath for Lucy! That worked wonders for us with Ren.

Hope she feels better and gets back to her normal self soon! :)

Keep us posted on how she's doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It took a couple of days, but things have finally calmed down after Lucy's allergic reaction... sort of. The evening after her hives showed up, she had some stomach troubles... She threw up four times, but she'd throw up and keep on going. We stopped at the vet the next morning, and they said with an allergic reaction like she had, it was normal. They told me to come in the next day if she hadn't stopped. I decided to let her have a short fast, and then started her back on rice and pumpkin like we would do when she was little. This seems to have done the trick and tonight, she had a full meal with no incident.

That's the calm part...She now behaves like she is terrified of the backyard. I have to push her into it to make her pee, but she rushes back to the porch and crawls on the chairs until I let her in. Between her fear of the yard, benadryl(which can apparently cause constipation), and the small food intake, her #2 schedule is off. I'm hoping that we'll see results in the morning after she ate that meal.
The other concern is that the area around her face where the swelling began is beginning to flake (it reminds me of a cross between a sunburn peeling and dandruff) and has several small sores. It's not alarming at first glance; most wouldn't notice, but I've been a serious helicopter mom the last couple of days.

Does this sound like mange? Would that have caused an allergic reaction? Or could she have been bitten by something that would cause the skin to peel like this?
We'll be back in touch with the vet asap... Ugh... I'm ready for her to be 100% healthy again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a very old post but I’m having that issue too with my boxer. She doesn’t seem to be bothered by it but it’s very concerning for me. She does have environmental allergies. Should Benadryl work?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts