Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just noticed this evening that Sadie's face is swollen up around her snout, and there is a swollen patch just near her eye as well. The swollen parts seem very firm to the touch. Any idea what could have caused this? She hasn't eaten anything weird in the last couple of days, no new house cleaners and it's way to cold out there for spider or insect bites....

We're so worried, it looks painful...we're not sure if it can wait until the morning to see the vet or not??....

·
Registered
893 Posts
Re: Swollen Face...Sharon?

It is never to cold for insect bites, my husband just killed a wasp 3 days ago and the temps here in Pa have been very cold. Try benadryl, ( 1 milligram for every lb 3x a day is the dose my vet gives my babies ) and maybe apply a cold compress to see if the swelling goes down. I hate it when our babies hurt. I hope Sharon can help you out when she gets here.

Luann

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Luann, it is really scary to watch...it's getting bigger by the minute. I've just sent Rob out in the ice storm to buy some Benedryl to see if that will help her...

She has had an eye infection and we've been giving her drops from the vet..."Getamincin Ohthalmic Solution" for about a week now so I was thinking if it would be a reaction to that, it would have swelled a lot earlier...?

·
Registered
693 Posts

Hello sadiemomma this is donner and blitzens dad. That happened to our girl sophie when she was here  went to the vet once and he drained it with a needle and came right back the next day, after having x-rays done we found out that it was an absessed tooth, had tooth pulled and swelling went away. Hope that helps. She had a dime size lump right under her eye.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

awwwwwwww Alexa im so sorry i know you are crazy worried...did the benedryl work? gosh i hope so!!! let us know...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So the benedryl didn't work..... :cry:  Her face got worse over night and she now has huge bumps all over her back. Her left eye is almost swollen shut..

We called the emergency vet back, and they said if the benedryl doesn't kick in within an hour call back and we may have to get her a steroid shot?

I am racking my brain as to what she could have gotten into?? Man it looks scary...I hope the benedryl works..

·
Registered
744 Posts

How much Benedryl did you give? For a 60lb dog, you can safely give 2-4 25mg capsules every 8 hours (as with any medication, please verify this with your vet). Two of my kids are head swellers (I feel that it's spiders). I do 4 capsules for the one (she's 75lbs) and 2 for the other (she's 50lbs). As you've noted, it's also been my experience that antihistimines aren't as quick or effective as steriods are, so I requested a bottle of Depo Medrol to keep on my bedside table after our last 4AM on a Sunday morning head swelling episode (always happens at night, which is why I think it's spiders).

Good luck - keep us posted!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Alexa, I 'm sorry I didn't see this sooner....Oh my, what are we going to do with that Sadie? I was going to suggest a tooth as well, but as the bumps are spreading, I kinda think not...Please keep us posted...That poor girl & you, hoping she starts feeling better...Hugs  :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

I am just seeing this also.......it sounds like something allergic in sense happened and that is certainly sounding bite related.  Verify that you have given her enough Benedryl because most people do not give as much as they can and from there what the ER said is right usually the best thing to start the swelling to reduce is a steriod and/or sometimes draining the site as well......Hope Sadie is feeling better today!!!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Swollen Face... UPDATE.

Thanks for all of the replies guys...seems this little girl just likes to keep us on our toes.

We've been to the emergency vet, because after the benedryl this morning there were more bumps appearing on her back. The vet prescribed some predisone to give her today and tomorrow and she said to continue with the 50mg 3x a day today and tomorrow. If it gets worse she said to bring her back.

But the good news is, it seems to be getting better. The swelling has gone down a lot on her face and the bumps are getting a bit smaller...thank god. The vet is almost certain that Sadie got into something that she may be allergic to...I am finding it difficult to think about what it may be...we watch her like a hawk! The only thing is, the weather has almost been spring like lately and all sorts of things are turning up as the snow melts...maybe she got something in her mouth last night when we took her out (in the dark) That's the only thing I can imagine. The vet gave us 3 extra predisone pills for the future in case this happens again.

What a weekend we are having! I'm still sick as a dog, now Rob is sick with what I have (bad flu/cold) and poor little Sadie too! We're a sight for sore eyes!! LOL (Sadie looks like she's been in a fight :(...)

·
Registered
893 Posts
I am so glad she is feeling better, ekim is my allergy boy and I have to watch him like a hawk. Aren't our fur babies wonderful though.

Luann

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
just saw this!! so sorry sadie was not feeling well and very glad to hear she is feeling better.i hope you guys are feeling better as well. it seems like everyone is sick!! 8O

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
im so sorry that sadie has had a hard weekend but also glad that youve figured out something that can make her feel better. Let us know how she is progressing and take care of yourself as well.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
8O oh Sadie i pitty you and your mom &dad..prednisone is NO FUN..as we are realizing grrrrr...

the first time we got prednisone was tht same type of thing...the bumps all over the body...jeez it was aweful..

Alexa feel better sweetie..it stinks when you feel crappy and so does she :(

hope today is a little better HUGZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad she is feeling better Alexa....Sounds like you all are feeling rather rotten this w/end.....Get well you guys and hugs

1 - 20 of 28 Posts