Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 9 year old Bear went to the Vet Tuesday.  He's been bleeding from his mouth for the past 2 weeks.  They had to knock him out so that that can see in his mouth to find out where it was coming from.  Well, they found a 2" wide gash under his tongue.  Not sure where he got it from but they suggested removing his front little teeth since they seem to be keeping the gash from healing.  We were fine with this so the vet took care of this.  

ANYWAY... Bear was knocked out for about 4-5 hours.  From the time they examined him, to the time they called us for to find out what we wanted done, to the time that they actually did the procedure.  We took him home and he was given antibiotics to take for about a week.

Well, the next morning we were shocked to see Bear's eye area swollen.  The inner lower eyelid (sorry, don't know medical term for it) was exposed.  It almost looked like his eyes were pointing outward like fish!  But if you looked closely you could see that it only appeared that way because of the inner eyelid was so exposed.  We immediately took him back to the vet.  She said that she's seen this before and it normally goes away after 3-5 days.  She feels it's a result of him being knocked out for an extended period of time.  She said it could even possibly by nerve damage but she doesn't feel it is.  She then added that although it is something she's seen before, this is more of an extreme case than what she's seen in the past  :(

We figured we'd wait through the weekend and see what happens.  His diet is fine.  Breathing is fine.  No longer bleeding from the mouth.  Seems a LITTLE lethargic but probably more lazy (normal for him) than anything.  AND THEN... this morning we wake up to see that it's swollen even more today (2 days after the surgery).  Now you can tell that his muzzle area just below his eyes are swollen.  We're going to see how it is tomorrow (friday) and if not better, we're bringing him in again.

Anyone with experience with anything like this?????

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Nope never, but its probably due to the anestetic if he was under for so long. :roll:

Id keep him quiet and calm, and just watch him, but id also recommend you pm sharron, shes our BF vet. . . lol. . . and she is brilliant, she will be able to help you and put your mind at rest. :D

I hope your little one feels better soon :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yeah, he's getting plenty of rest.  it's kinda bad timing though because we have 2 pups arriving tomorrow!  arrgggghhh... we DO plan to try to make it as unstressfull as much as possible.

i did what you suggested an sent a PM to sharon  :D

thanks!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor guy, that is a long time to be under,especially at his age. I really don't know, but I guess that's possible..But I am a worry wart and would like a bit more of an answer...Hope he starts feeling better

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Hope he is feeling better, keep us updated on how he is doing.

·
Registered
693 Posts
When our Sophie was alive she had a similar situation with a lump under her eye, it did not appear painful to her. It was about about the size of a grape. We took her to the vet and had it drained. In a couple of days it came right back so the vet x-rayed it and found that one of her molars had abscessed.  Had the tooth removed and she was fine. Hope that helps. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, this morning was the first morning (3rd morning since surgery) that i didn't see any increase in swelling.  my wife thinks that there is actually SLIGHTLY less swelling than yesterday.  i think it's the same as yesterday.  he's acting like his normal self, eating normally, breathing normally, etc..  maybe a LITTLE lethargic but he's 9 so it's not unusual for him to be more lethargic some days than other days.

i think we'll wait through the weekend before recontacting the vet.  if i see some improvement, then i'll let it go longer.  if no improvement, then i'll take him in.

one thing i forgot to mention... his antibiotics (Clyndamycin (2 tablets 2x per day)) were given to him incorrectly by me the first day.  i only gave him 1 tablet twice in the first day instead of 2.  this probably has nothing to do with the swelling but i just remembered that goof.  the doc also gave us (on the return visit) BNP w/ Hydrocortisone ointment to place on the inner exposed eyelid 3x per day.  

thanks for the well wishes... i'll keep this post updated when i can

Boxerpop:  thanks for the heads up.  Bear's is more of a swelling on BOTH sides than it is a lump.  i'll keep that in mind though, thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's Sunday evening now.  Bear's face has SLIGHTLY less swelling on the left side (the side that was worse a few days ago).  The right is now more swollen and the inner eyelid is more red.  The inner eyelids are still exposed a lot.  He seems to be sensitive around the upper part of his muzzle.  I can't give  him this meds by putting it in the back of his mouth (like i would normally do).  He whines when i put pressure in that area.  I have to break up the meds and put it in peanut butter for him to lick up.  

Still eating fine.  I can tell his mouth hurts cuz he doesn't want to pick up his tennis ball in his mouth.  he just pushes it around.  

The pups came home on Friday.  He doesn't seem to mind them.  He kinda just ignores them even though they are VERY fascinated over him.  He doesn't appear stressed out by the new pups.

This is what he normally looks like

This is how it looked Sat morning

I think our vet is closed Monday (not sure about that) but i'll be giving them a call definitely on Tues for some follow up... maybe stronger antibiotics.  He's on 300 mg right now.

Same day...

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Ah poor Bear, i hope he gets well soon. :(

If i was you i think i might be asking the vet why he was under for such a long time? :?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
First I have to say your Bear looks an awful lot like my boy Samson, except Bear seems to be holding back the clock pretty well  :) Oh my, that pic from Sat was almost too much for me. I would have been freaking out....Definitely call your vet in the morning..I just don't know if that's normal or not after his surgery....Hoping Bear starts feeling better, poor guy and new pups too? Oh my goodness

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just a quick update... it's been almost 10 days since the surgery and Bear is doing great.  no more bleeding from the mouth.  the biopsy of the cut under the tongue came back negative.  they said that it appears it was a cut cause by some type of trauma that took forever to heal.  

the swollen face is all good now.  the inner eyelids are back to about 95% normal.  no longer sensitive around the muzzle.  playing with the puppies now and able to eat solid food and chew on toys  :D  

thanks for all the advice and well wishes!

·
Registered
693 Posts
So glad to hear Bears doing much better. Really shakes you up when there sick. As Samsonsmom said he looks great for 9 yrs old. Wish I could age that well.  :dance:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
That is such good news, so happy that he is doing so much better.  Thanks for updating us.

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
[quote="Boxerpop\";p=\"130928":3b4de0cx]So glad to hear Bears doing much better. Really shakes you up when there sick. As Samsonsmom said he looks great for 9 yrs old. Wish I could age that well.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Wonderful news! Great to hear that Bear is doing well on his road to recovery!  :)

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Phewww, im glad he is better, poor baby. #:-S

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Awww, I am glad to hear that..I swear he looks soo much like Samson, my heart stops when I see him...Give that guy a big hug for me :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts