Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a few people have raised questions about hot weather issues, I thought it would be good to start a thread devoted to warm weather issues and our babies..Especially as we have a lot of newbies with puppies that will be experiencing their first summer.Everyone feel free to share some of the things that have worked for you  :)

Boxers are deep chested dogs and extremes in temperature are hard for them to tolerate...Know your boxers limitations..Keep exercise to a minimum especially in the middle of the day. Keep plenty of fresh water available to them. Panting isn't necessarily a sign of distress, it's generally like a built in air conditioner, but watch your baby...Samson doesn't deal with heat well, so I make every effort to keep him cool..One of the things he likes is for us to rub ice cubes on his chest..I think he just likes the attention actually..I also will get an old towel, get it wet, wring it out and drape it like a collar around his chest, or lay it on the floor for him to lie on top of...He can lay on the floor vents, but he doesn't like that, or having a fan blow on him...We also will take him to the creek a lot, or turn the hose on him in the yard...What he really loves tho is popsicles....The kind that you get from Walmart, you stick them in the freezer and they are ready to eat...We feed them to him and he just loves them...Even had his favorite flavors...orange, lime and grape  8) ..Suncreen is great to use esp for all the white boxers. A non greasy childs version will work great and it won't hurt them at all....

It goes without saying that at this time of year, it is extremely dangerous to leave your boxer in the car..Samson loves his car rides, so it's hard on him as now that it's getting warm, he can't go, but I'd rather have him a little unhappy with me, than have a heatstroked boxer....Or worse....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Great info, thanks for the reminders.. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts