Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tango just got his 2nd shots.  In 4 weeks he'll be ready for his last set and will be 16 weeks old.  I haven't been taking him outside to play until he has everything up to date.

I want to start taking him to dog park when he's ready (after I've gotten him used to the outside a bit)  ... should I still be limiting his time outside, or is it a trial thing?  If he's having fun, can I sit there for an hour and let him play with the other dogs, or should I be taking it slow?  He's hyper and runs around the house like a maniac!  I just don't want to over do it!

While I'm at it ...

Those bones that you can buy for dogs .. I don't know how to describe them, but most meat counters sell them.  Are they okay to give?  And if so, should I be waiting until he has his adult teeth?  I'm always worried about giving him hard stuff to chew on right now.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I personally would not expose him to strange dogs till hes had all his shots. But that is just me. As far as the marrow bones go
they wont hurt him at all. We have a toy box full of them. :D

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I won't take him out until he's had all his shots and I've gotten him used to the outside.  I live in an apartment, so he goes out on the balcony a lot to chill, but he hasn't been exposed to grass and all the people walking around.  But once I get to the park stage, I don't want to over do it with him, or is there such a thing?  LOL ...

So hard stuff is fine at this age?  The bones I'm talking about have meat on them ... like that you buy at a butcher, but they sell them as "dog bones" ...  i guess i'm also concerned on whether or not their stomachs can tolerate the stuff.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Ours took very small walks, mainly when I was home for lunch.  Maybe 5 minutes a time or two a day.  The rest of there energy went to running through the house like it was a race track.  Now they can take longer trips, but I didn't really want to walk them (especially on concrete) for extended periods until the age of 1 1/2.  Sadie isn't even there yet.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
What I have heard recommended is the 5 minute per month of age rule on a forced walk (on a leash on concrete).

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote="My_Harleigh\";p=\"101662":2umvcctp][quote="JeepKuntry\";p=\"101649":2umvcctp]Ours took very small walks, mainly when I was home for lunch.

·
Registered
537 Posts
kiahsmom\";p=\"101664 said:
What I have heard recommended is the 5 minute per month of age rule on a forced walk (on a leash on concrete).
Thats what I have heard as well, so I am within the recommended guidelines per walk...but I wonder if that is per day. If so, I am doubling the recommended walks for her age in a day.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, with those guidelines, I won't be able to go hiking until next summer!!!!  That really sucks!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
My_Harleigh\";p=\"101670 said:
[quote="kiahsmom\";p=\"101664":11r1elar]What I have heard recommended is the 5 minute per month of age rule on a forced walk (on a leash on concrete).
Thats what I have heard as well, so I am within the recommended guidelines per walk...but I wonder if that is per day. If so, I am doubling the recommended walks for her age in a day.[/quote:11r1elar]

I think it is per day.  Pup will get more than enough exercise just being a pup.  Sucks, I know. :roll:
If you're unsure, maybe ask the vet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts