Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about adopting a kitty. Tucker absolutely loves the kitty at the barn, they are buds. I think he would enjoy a kitty. I just dont know if I need a kitty and a puppy? How do you guys think he will react training and attitude wise?

I still have a lot of thinking to do about it, but what would happen if when he is full grown I decide to get a kitty? Is he going to get angry and not like the kitty because they did not both share my attention at a young age?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well I dont know if I could or should or even would talk you out of it, but I will say......In getting a kitty or any other pet make sure you do it because YOU want it not because you think your other pet wants a play mate :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol well I do want the kitty. I actually went to the SPCA before I got tucker, but wanted to wait until he came home before I made my decision. I just dont know how he would react when he is full grown to a new kitty. Has anyone on here brought a new kitten home to their full grown boxer? He lives with me and only me so I have a feeling he might go through  a jealousy phase?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I haven't. We did try to adopt a kitty (about a year old) while Odin was about 6 or 7 months old. Believe it or not... the KITTY was the one that had the issues with Odin. Which I've said before and still feel... I'm very upset because I worry not that whenever he see's a cat that he'll get defensive and want to attack it. POOR ODIN... the cat would NOT let him MOVE even JUST A LITTLE  without going crazy on him.

Keep that in mind I guess...

G

·
0 Posts
I would have the two grow up together..Nermal is fine with Jetta and with my mom's dogs..but now we have Bo and he is strange to her and she doesn't like him and vice versa...get them small and they will tolerate and possibly love each other

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
When me and the ex bought our first house, I wanted a cat and he wanted a dog.....After talking to a lot of people, it was decided that we needed to get the cat first so he/she could establish themself, so we did, I adopted Oreo..About 2 mos later, we brought home Buck...It was a bit hairy for awhile, Oreo always running and Buck giving chase, but they eventually worked it out with us monitoring closely....The following summer we adopted Tia, oh lord, did the fur fly!!! Oreo ran away for about a week, he was soo miffed, but once again with supervision they also worked it out. I have pics of them all snuggling together...What I am getting at is, if you are getting the cat for you, that's fine, but Tucker honestly won't care, the ideal playmate for him is another dog. It's not that they won't play, but the kind of play that Boxers engage in, kitty won't want any part of....

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
we have two cats in my house and i cannot handle it.  They r my roommates and they are older than dungy... idk if it is dungy, but he will not leave them alone and they do not want to be messed w/.  They start playing and next thing i know i hear yelps... he has been scratched twice by the eye and his stomach is full of scratches... i just wish he would leave him alone, it is prolly and hopefully because he is a puppy... but dungy loves kitties but doesnt mean the kitties love them... just something to think about

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
yeah i am getting really worried about dungy and the cats... they drive me crazy... when he cant see them he sits and relaxes but if one of those cats walk past he is on the ground jumping on them... im worried that 1. they are gonna get fed up and really use their claws on him or he is gonna hurt them.  I tried to save one of them yesterday and i ended up getting a claw into the stomach... all the way in like a shot... i put that cat back down and let him fend for himself w/ dungy lol

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well, Summer and my cat Chloe play when they think we aren't looking. They box each other. Its so cute they both have white paws and they look like boxing gloves

G

·
0 Posts
Jetta and Nermal used to play well...Bo likes to chase...The cat has drawn first blood on both dogs...and has suffered not a scratch herself..

G

·
0 Posts
well I have two cats and one dog in the house and they do NOT get along baby tries to eat the cats (i think not to sure i try not to let her go after the cats) she will get them in a corner and bite their tails or pounce on them and yha even a 50lb dog and 9lb cats not happening I tried all the tricks everyone told me i tried the leave it!! and the put cat in the creat and let dog see them and put dog in crate and let cat see her and tried to have seperate time for cats and dog but nothing is working so I am finding a new home for the cats(which are not mine one zebby a bluis pinkish belong to my mom) female cat really nice and porsha calico furball from he!! belongs to my brother and loves to crawl under my blanket at night and bite my but or knees or toes grr drives me crazy!!! but she is loveable so should be able to find home for them no problem but baby being a dog most would take her breed her and puppy mill her at least cats would be safe and so would baby..psst and I am a dog person not a cat person but love them all lol

I would get a friend to lend you a kitty for a week and see how they are or take her with you to get the cat if your dead set on getting a cat get her to tell you what one she would get along with..just bringing one home to say here get along which is what i did :oops: really didn't work for me having a bond to start would be a good thing but just my input. Good luck!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
(80lb dog + 5lb cat just seems dangerous to me lol but im probably wrong)

Heres my input on this.. We started with a cat she was about a year when we got Emma they don't get along.  Then we got Titan when Emma was about a 1 1/2.  Our cat does not like him.. Now We have Rowdy a full grown boxer she hates him but he tries to mess with her and she can hold her own..She doesn't have claws either so from my house I would say you shouldn't have a problem with a big dog and a little kitty.  I only wish my cat liked any of our dogs.  She is still mad at us I think for bringing other furry animals in to her territory!!haha I guess in her eyes she will always be queen bee.  We have nicknames for our dogs my boyfriend made one up today for our cat (i can not remember what is is off hand) but I told him I am going to by her a sweater that says "yeah I am the queen, you have a problem??"  I almost wish we got our dogs first then got our cat maybe they would get along. Or maybe not since she is sooo sassy.

I had to kidnap my cat back from my parents house two days ago.. We went on vacation so they watched her and that was the begining of November and I just got her back.  My cat was gone for 5 hours and my mom called can we have her back we miss her I was like you miss her she has been gone for 5 hours.  I haven't seen her for a month how do you think I feel..  If I can find one I like I am going to give her one for christmas!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
We got Baron first and then Maverick after so the cat was here first and wasnt pleased when the puppy came home. Mav does the boxer play and tries to box Baron which he HATES. He isnt as mean as some other cats and just gently puts his claws on maverick as a warning. Usually its enough and no yelping the puppy moves away. A couple times he continued and got a mean swipe...pretty much they ignore one another but the puppy will take the cats stuffed toys...oh well lol.

Have you decided for sure youre not getting a kitty?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
We got Tabs (our lab mix) almost three years ago, then last December we moved into our own place and got two kittens.  One of our kittens died like three or four months later, it was about a month before we got Duke.  So when we got Duke we only had Chester (our male cat) and Tabs.  At first Duke and Chester would lay together, play together, I swear Chester is a pest to the two dogs.  He will run by and bat at the dogs, not with his claws out or anything, then the chase is one.  If he asks for it I let the dogs chase him.  Then about two months ago we got Sweetie, my mom wanted us to take this kitten before it got cold because they were outside cats.  Duke was really good with the cat, he isn't full grown yet, he is only about 11 months old.  He is really good with the cats.  He loves to cuddle with them.  Tabs isn't much of a cuddler, but Duke loves it.  So if you really want a cat I think you should get one.  Cats are more of loners then dogs so it would be ok at your place while you are gone.  And really it only took a little while to get Chester litter trained when we got him, we just locked him in the bathroom when we were gone with a kitty litter box.  It really wasn't too bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts