Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Henry recently had a bout of tapeworms.  Go to the doc for some meds, they go away, no big deal.

I did some research and found that tapeworms come from swallowing fleas.  But, are they contagious to humans?  I haven't found anything that says one way or the other.  The reason I ask is because of my stupid mother in law! :x   That woman drives me crazy.  Every time my son goes for a visit to grandma's house, he comes back spouting nonsense.  This time she told him that tapeworms are highly contagious and he should not even touch the dog.  She also told him that we (me & hubby) were stupid for letting the dog in the house and we should just get rid of him! :eek:   The nerve!

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure tapeworms are not contagious, but would like to know for sure so I can tell this woman where to get off!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think if that were the case every human in the world that has a dog would have tapeworm. SILLY! Sounds like she is extremely jealous of Henry. Just ignore her. By the way how is Henrys ACL doing?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, she seems to just be nuts sometimes. :?

Leg is doing really good.  One more week, then I think we'll be free to rehab! :D   He's lost some muscle from all the laying around.  We'll have to gradually work him back up, or he may re-injur.  (that doesn't look right. :lol:   did i spell it wrong?)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Zhanna\";p=\"98472 said:
Ya, she seems to just be nuts sometimes. :?

Leg is doing really good.  One more week, then I think we'll be free to rehab! :D   He's lost some muscle from all the laying around.  We'll have to gradually work him back up, or he may re-injur.  (that doesn't look right. :lol:   did i spell it wrong?)
I would spell it injure with an "e" on the end. =)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I doubt you can catch tapewordms unless your eating fleas or eaching your dogs fecal matter! haha
It happends to alot of dogs. I'd agree with Boxerpop and say that she's just jealous of poor Henry!
There was another posting on this a little while ago that really cleared tapeworms up for some...

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... =tapeworms

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Zhanna\";p=\"98497 said:
Thanks for the link.  I printed out the info and will be mailing it out today! :D
lol! good for you!

G

·
0 Posts
I know that roundworms are contagious and can stay around for months, but, I  don't think tapeworms are

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Taenia Saginata is the most common human tapeworm and Dipylidium caninum is the dog tapeworm......

Dogs get them from eating fleas.  Well, not all fleas, but just the right flea!
Humans get the tapeworms' embryo from ingesting or by drinking contaminated water or through direct contact with feces...They are not very common....Main point....Dont eat poop!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hah!  I love the advice Sharon, I will not be eating any poop anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
haha....yep...no poop eating!!!!!   Zhanna.....Do you know how to make porcupine balls???  If not..... they are meatballs rolled in rice....You should cook some and send them to your mother-in-law...............hahahahahahaha..................

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
When the foster pup had a tapeworm, the vet tech said I'd have to kiss his butt to get one.  Sorry, no other way to say it.  They did suggest using the vacumn often for awhile.  I know you won't be having this woman over for spaghetti dinner soon.  I think kids get worms from eating dirt sometimes.  I also poured some mild bleach and water solution on the garden area where the poop was.   I figure the grass will still grow back if spring ever comes to Wisconsin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts