Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know dogs can have some herbs.  What about mints?  Like peppermint.  I made some peppermint tea the other day and Henry seemed very interested.  Can dogs have peppermint leaves?

And, totally  :bsofftopic: , what is the difference between English and Irish breakfast teas?  Cause I like the Irish breakfast tea better, but have a hard time finding it.

Thanks! :D

Zhanna

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
8O ones made in england and ones made in ireland? :D

haha i dont know..

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Found this on the net - if this doesn't answer your question, ask Emiear or Annette - I'd bet they would know.

"Irish Tea Traditions
By Brenda Hyde

Ireland is the largest tea consumer per capita than any country in the world. They take their tea VERY seriously! You won't find a convention, work meeting or other event that does not allow for a morning or afternoon tea break on the schedule! The slang for tea is "cha" in Ireland and the rich and poor alike love tea time.
Tea was first imported to Ireland in 1835 where it became popular with the weathly crowd, but it wasn't until later in the mid 1800s that it spread to the rural people and all of Ireland was hooked. Small grocers were opened in the towns and villages and they started exchanging butter and eggs for tea and sugar.

In Gaelic "cupan tae" mean cup of tea, and the Irish make it a strong cup. Irish tea is blended to be mixed with a lot of rich milk-up to 1/3 of the cup for some. The custom is to add the milk to the tea cup first, then pour in the tea. Irish breakfast tea is often a strong blend of Assam and Ceylon and most people would only drink it for breakfast, though the Irish love it strong and would use this blend all day long. Even during the traditional Irish wake, after a family member has passed away, it's expected that a pot would be continously boiling to make tea for company.

Irish tea is served generally three times a day; 11:00 in the morning, 3:00-5:00 for afternoon tea and a high tea at 6:00 pm, serving as the evening meal. Many think of high tea as formal or fancy, but it's actually a working man's tea that serves as a meal. Afternoon tea is the more "fancy" of the three teas-the one with scones, breads, jam, curds and other dainties."

·
Registered
905 Posts
Lol Kate, there's definitely some good info in that article!  Although I have to say, I've never met anyone who puts the milk in the cup first - I believe that's considered bad manners!

Zhanna, the main difference is that Irish tea tends to be a lot stronger than English blends - we like our tea almost black!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yes!  Lyons is the one I like too!  Looks like I'm doing it right.  Got my little Chatsworth tea pot.  I never reboil the water; my hubby and son just don't understand that one. :lol:   Always called it "warming" the pot, but it's the same thing.  Yay!  I DO know how to make a proper tea! :dance:
Not bad for a country girl from south Texas! :wink:

Thanks for the info! :D

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Awe wouldn't you know I'd post something that is considered "rude."  Sorry for that part lol, but I'm glad Emiear straightened us out.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Eimear, thank you so much for that information...I also preferred the Irish tea when I was living there and yes I believe it was Lyons...Having never known how to make tea "properly" this was really interesting for me..I actually got into the habit of drinking tea when I lived there and it's carried with me to the present...Have to try that method tmw for my morning tea.... :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol, it went great!!! I liked the way my tea turned out much better..... :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know dogs can have some herbs.  What about mints?  Like peppermint.  I made some peppermint tea the other day and Henry seemed very interested.  Can dogs have peppermint leaves?
If your dog like tea (especially herbal ones) you are lucky because you
can give him a lot of good things perhaps healing teas in this way.

My boxer JayJay was crazy about camomile and pepermint tea.

There are teas different herbal teas  for different deseases and the best:
Teas are as good for dogs as for humans!

Unfortunately Gero doesn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts