Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4month olds -boy and girl- dont seem to get what play time is about -or maybe I dont seem to get it-.  Im having a hard time teaching them to fetch a ball, frisbee,  and toys, etc etc... What gives?  I thought boxers would go insane over toys.  They dont seem interested in chasing after anything. Unless my daughter is dragging a toy around, then they go into predatory mode and try to pick the toy up. I have tried to teach them the take it command but they dont seem to get it either.

They have basic training, they know their sit, stay, lay down, they know how to walk on a leash without pulling, etc etc... they are very well behaved... I couldnt ask for better boxers...

I wish they would play some dogie sports with me, like flyball or something. How can I teach them to do that? Any resources -online or otherwise= that you can point me to will be appreciated. Thank you.
Gipsy

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I don't know!  :?   We used to play with Henry's toys when he was a puppy.  I mean, like really make fools of ourselves just to get him interested.  He finally got the idea.  Maybe just give it some more time.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Some dogs just aren't into playing with toys that much, Tia was that way...As far as Flyball or anything like that, those are pretty intense sports, for those I would suggest waiting til after 18 mos, so the growth plates can close...Same with Agility or any heavy duty running...As for "fetch", Angel is my first Boxer that realy got the concept about bringing things back to me, my others preffered "keep a way" :lol: Just keep playing with them, if they get interested, that's fine, otherwise I wouldn't worry over it..Also they are still young, but by starting them off withgames, you have a good start.. :)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
They have each other to play with which is probably more appealing than toys! I'm sure they will eventually figure out their toys are fun too.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
When we go the the dog park, some of the other boxer owners are amazed that Kiah will play ffetch and drop the ball; mostly theirs like Willow said play keep away or are not that interested in playing with toys.  By the way it took her a long time to drop the ball on command because she wanted me to chase her.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I didn't have that problem, if anything, all Isis wanted to do was play, destroy toys, and play some more!

What about using a lazer light?  Isis flips over it, and it's great exercise!  All I have to say is, "where's the light?" and her ears perc up and she starts running all over searching for it.

Rob

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol, yea that laser light is great...Angel tho is OCD and she was obsessing over the darn thing too much, we had to put it up, for good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts