Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog rarely ever barks, unless some one is coming to the house, let alone making any other noises. In an effort to keep me repainting my old wooden door...I was wondering is there a way to teach a non barker to bark when he wants to get back in?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have a similar boy, he is very quiet and he too only barks when someone knocks at the door. I have noticed him getting more frequent with that.. before it was only if he was startled from a sleep or sometimes he wouldn't bark at all when he heard someone at the door. Usually find him sitting at the door wagging his nub... he makes for a terrible gaurd dog, it's a good thing I don't have a jewelry box or else he'd lead a robber right to it.

I don't know if there is any commands for barking to be let it.. may just have to wait for him to be done his business. I always tend to think it's better to keep a watchful eye on them even in your backyard..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wish my neighbour's dog like your dog. Rarely ever barks. But it is another way around, my neighbour dog will bark anytime and sometimes unnecessary time at 3 am. I don't know the dog see the cat or the ghost or whatever, but always in the middle of the night. Too bad my kind of senses easily got triggered by sound and I easily wake up.

My neighbour kind of introvert person, I really don't know how to talk to her, when I call out her name, nobody answer, when I try to reach out the gate, the dog will bark very loudly.

When I search the internet about any related article why dog barks, I can conclude that, my neighbour raise the dog for the sake of to look after the house. I mean if you are a good dog owner, it is not the way just leave the dog outside and just give her food when the time comes. Nothing personal touch or petting to show affection. When there is affection it would be easy I guess if the owner wants to train the dog to communicate and might also teach to be quiet.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I wish my neighbour's dog like your dog. Rarely ever barks. But it is another way around, my neighbour dog will bark anytime and sometimes unnecessary time at 3 am. I don't know the dog see the cat or the ghost or whatever, but always in the middle of the night. Too bad my kind of senses easily got triggered by sound and I easily wake up.

My neighbour kind of introvert person, I really don't know how to talk to her, when I call out her name, nobody answer, when I try to reach out the gate, the dog will bark very loudly.

When I search the internet about any related article why dog barks, I can conclude that, my neighbour raise the dog for the sake of to look after the house. I mean if you are a good dog owner, it is not the way just leave the dog outside and just give her food when the time comes. Nothing personal touch or petting to show affection. When there is affection it would be easy I guess if the owner wants to train the dog to communicate and might also teach to be quiet.
Your neighbor's dog is a "PIA" and your neighbor is a "tool!' But most likely you already know that?? A well trained dog ... will/should not bark at normal day in day out occurrences ... like a neighbor in there own back yard! The dog knows "who is there they don't "need to see them!"

A dog that barks at "every freaking thing" is not much use as a "Guard Dog" ... just saying. :)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
My dog rarely ever barks, unless some one is coming to the house, let alone making any other noises. In an effort to keep me repainting my old wooden door...I was wondering is there a way to teach a non barker to bark when he wants to get back in?
The answer would be yes1 But it's take some time and effort on your part. And the command to is "speak."

This would be where use of treats would be useful. Say speak and hold a reward in your "fist" he only gets the treat when he "speaks!" That would be part "A."

SO now he knows what you want! Step two would involve you playing the "do you want to come in game??" Open the slider, I assume a crack and now say "Speak" if he does then let him in and reward! If he does not close the door and try again. He'll figure out and at some point the treat won't be needed.

But ... depending on how "pig Headed" he is ... you may only get a" Huff" sound??? A very muted bark?? Struddell would "bark" to come back in ...but despite my best efforts ... she absolutely refused to "Bark on Command!??" No ... I'm not doing it!!!

Hard core "pig headed and freaking stubborn!! But you know one has to pick their battles ... so I let that one go. YRMV. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts